Samurging computer

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a non conductive liquid. I was planning on making my own case out of plexy glass and filling the bottom of it with this liquid (http://www.xoxide.com/fluidxp.html) Just enough so the top of the motherboard was coverd. The liquid wasn't quite designed for this it was more for a water collent system that might spring a leek. But sence its non conductive and I would be basicly be seeling it off to any and all dust the liquid shouldnt become conductive.

What do you think?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you mean submerging the computer?
if so, look here as it is the only successful submerging i have heard of. theoretically you could submerge your computer in the liquid you are looking at [i THINK, wait for someone else to confirm] but i don't think it would do any good in the ways of actually cooling your setup. the way water cooling works is by using the liquid to transfer heat away from vital parts, which you wont be able to do now because the het would essentially just heat up the liquid.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya I ment Submerging, it was late and I'm a horible speller.

And the reason why I was looking into submerging my computer was this...
1. Water transfers heat much fast than air, as most of us now(water is 4.18 j and air is 1.01 j).
2. Submerging my computer in this liquid(just the mother board and only being under a little) Will create a massive amound of surdace area for heat to be radiated off.

Now some long stuff that im going to try to explain and hope its right if its not please tell me.

Now water cooling is just taking water and running it over a metal that has a large surface area. This metal is in direct contact to the CPU. After the water has ran over the CPU it is then moved to a radiator. Witch cools the water down with air(1.01 j).

By submerging my computer and making the whole board coverd in a heat absorbant compound(insted of air). This is like the water cooling, it still has to get rid of the heat. Now if i were crunch some numbers I Believe that the amount of surface area (that air would be touching) the case to the liquid around my computer is much greater than the amount of are that would run thought the radiator.
It takes ALOT of energy to heat up 32 oz of this liquid (witch has about the same Specific heat as water, around 4.18)

Room Temp: 70f ~ 21c
Amount of liquid:32 oz = 960ml (1 US fluid ounce = 29.5735297 ml ~ 30)
1ml = 1g

960g * 4.18j/g = 4012.8j = 4.0128 kj

Thats the amound of energy is needed to raise 32 oz of water 1 degree c.

Now to give you and idea(for those that dont know) how much energy that is.

it takes 2260 j to make on gram of water in to steam.

So in 4012.8 j we can get about 1.77 grams of water into steam, may not seem like alot but if you think about how hot that is. its quite a bit

So basicly its going to take alot of energy to heat all 32 oz of this liquid up.

Now that wasn't the best but its an idea of where im coming from. Hope i didnt make a fool of my self lol
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you didnt make a fool of yourself, only a fool of me :P
:oops:
your calculations look good, but the only thing i would wait for is someone to come and confirm the use of the liquid that you have linked to.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay thanks for the help
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would look into transformer oils. Most are synthetic now, and the whole purpose of them is to cool the transformer and insulate the windings from eachother.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts