SATA Data Cables

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've decided to replace my SATA data cables with some new ones that have locking clips, but after looking at a number of offerings I have become a bit confused. I didn't figure there would be any difference between a cable designed for SATA I and one for SATA II, but now I'm not certain. I suppose that it is not critical, because the drives that I intend to connect are SATA I, but if SATA II is necessary for that protocol, then I don't want to waste the money for something that I shall probably upgrade. Someone please fill me in.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

SATA I uses the same cable as SATA II. Just like USB 1.0 and USB 2.0
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought that was the case, but the ads that some venders have seem to imply otherwise. It's probably just a sales ploy, or perhaps just bad ad composition.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is one of the ads that I spoke of:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 5&CatId=84

It specifically say that it is for 150 Mbps, which would rule out SATA II. Another thing that I have come across is that some cables offered are shielded. I never thought about it before, but would unshielded cables cause data corruption or loss?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

i believe that was posted before SATA 2 was implemented or made available in the market. however, i gave credence to Wikipedia.com when it says "A SATA data cable rated for 1.5 Gbit/s will handle current second-generation SATA 3.0 Gbit/s drives without any loss of sustained and burst data transfer performance."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts