SATA hard drive not showing up

• emqz1101
  • Born
  • Born
  • emqz1101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a Maxtor external drive that I saved music and photos to. The power port for the drive AC/DC port for the external drive got damaged so I took it apart and tried to install it on my PC however it is not showing up on the start menu. Is there any way to transfer all the information i have saved on the drive without having to format it and lose all the data I had?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is possible that all of the information is there, and numerous things could be making it not accessible. One could be that the partition tables are messed up. I would recommend that you run TestDisk (completely free) as it can do numerous things to either help you get it working or to recover the data. TestDisk can

• Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
  • Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
  • Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
  • Fix FAT tables
  • Rebuild NTFS boot sector
  • Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
  • Fix MFT using MFT mirror
  • Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
  • Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
  • Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

I think this would be a good way to start. Let me know if that helps you get anywhere. I recently had a problem in the past where my hard drive was not showing up in Windows either, and by repairing the partition I was able to get access to everything on the hard drive. Before that I was sweating pretty good ;)
  • rhenderson19
  • Born
  • Born
  • rhenderson19

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar problem to emqz1101, only my HDD has not been subjected to any power failure during a read/write operation to my knowledge. My secondary SATA internal drive does not show up in MY Computer, Disk Management, or Device Manager. I tried downloading the test disk software as mentioned by Bigwebmaster and it didn't show up in there either.

The weird thing is, that sometimes when I restart the computer, it will just show up. In BIOS, and everywhere. It performs just fine when it wants to show up. There is data on the drive so it seems to be formatted correctly.

Any ideas? Hardware?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts