SATA HDD Problem

• PC-Thug
  • Born
  • Born
  • PC-Thug
  • Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a problem that I hope someone can help me fix. 2 days ago I had been using 2 hard drives, 1 80GB IDE Seagate hd with Windows XP and my games & programs on it, the other was a SATA 160 GB Seagate which has my mp3s and videos etc on it. I had had that setup for about 2 years with no problems until yesterday, my 80GB IDE hard drive became corrupted, I don't know how either. But after spending a few hours trying to get it to work, I went and bought a new 160GB IDE Seagate hard drive which was to just be for the OS, programs & games.
I installed XP on the new drive but my SATA drive isn't showing up in Windows. I'm using a Gigabyte 7N 400 Pro2 mobo and I installed the SATA drivers that came with the mobo but to no avail. I have 80GB of data that hasn't been backed up yet, and I don't want to lose everything. Any ideas on how to get XP to see my SATA drive?

Thanks,
Alex.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to check the BIOS first. If you don't see anything, try restore defaults. Then go to the control panel. administrative tools, computer management and disk management. The drive should be there.
  • PC-Thug
  • Born
  • Born
  • PC-Thug
  • Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a look at the cables and I couldn't believe it. I had knocked the power cable out of the SATA drive and didn't notice.... I feel rather stupid now. Thanks for the advice.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happens to the best of us.
  • geekdw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work at a small tech shop and you would not believe the stuff that happens to us like that lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts