SATA Issues

• FettesPS
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • FettesPS
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Been having some quirks with my PC lately. Every now and then it will randomly die. It wont see one of the 2 SATA drives, usually the one with the OS on it. I'll *peach* around with it and eventually get it going (plugging into other SATA Ports usually does it).

Initially I thought it was my hard drive, until I noticed it wasn't consistent which one "failed." Tried putting on AHCI and installing the OS with that set, didn't make a difference. I've tried Linux, WinXP and Win7 and keep getting the same issue. I even replaced my SATA cables too.

Right now I'm thinking it must be the mobo. I'm going to try flashing it tonight as a last ditch effort and will probably buy a new board. Not sure what to get though, I've always been an Asus fan but the last 3 I've had have failed on me. I am losing confidence in them. Any recommendations? It was running an M3N78-VM, which was cheap (less than $100) and had onboard video. Since then I've picked up a separate video card so onboard isn't essential this time. It's going to be running a Quad Core Phenom @ 9950. So AM2+ socket, supporting PC2-6400 DDR2-800 RAM. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to hardware these days, but I'm currently thinking a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 would do the trick. Any input?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

At least look in the event viewer for errors.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts