• The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher
  • Loc: Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi..
i have some questions on scandisk?
i'm tried to do a scandisk on my hard disk but i not sure what actually scandisk do for? if i run a scandisk?do it ever delete a redundunt file on my hdisk? that y i didn't scandisk my hdisk..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, it will not delete anything. All it does is check and verify the integrity of the physical drive, and make sure it has no errors or bad sectors.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it MIGHT delete something, but not regular files... As well as the physical hardware testing, Scandisk also checks for some file errors (sometimes if you run Defrag, it can complain about cross-linked files and such, and inform you that you need to run scandisk)...

There are options in Scandisk to delete cross-linked files, and random orphaned clusters n' whatnot. So, if this option is selected, if scandisk comes across a corrupted file, or a misallocation somewhere, it may nuke it (it may split the cross linked section up into two files).

But, no, like Unflux says, it won't actually delete any real files that exist on your regular file system. It has no way of knowing what you need and what you don't. To Scandisk, a file's a file (as long as it's not corrupted - if it's corrupted, it will attempt to fix it, or ask you if it should attempt to fix it, which may include deletion depending on the type of error it encounters).
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher
  • Loc: Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

while i performed a scandisk there is a bad sector on my hardisk, i not sure if it caused by a program or something else... so my question here is..how do i repair if it caused by the program... as far as i know, if there is bad sector caused by other things (beside program) it cannot be repair, isn't??

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts