my second hd gone missing

• zarahuztra1
  • zarahuztra1
  • Loc: norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

got a hd slave, that for some reason, my pc cant find.

it worked fine for 2 months, untill a few days ago, when it suddenly went missing. i been looking through bios n computer management, checked that the wires r attached, but w no result.

any1 knows what the problem might be?
  • PalSecon
  • Born
  • Born
  • PalSecon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happened to me that my PC could not find the HD, but that was because i had put both my CD player and the HD in slave mode on the same controller (silly me). And then, neither the CD nor HD would show up in BIOS.

Since you're missing only one HD, it's probably something different, but maybe you can check the jumper to see if it did not move, or temporarily move it to master, disconnect the current master, and check if you can then see it in BIOS...?
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

take the master out an try using the slave as a master . what have you got the jumpers set as . cable select? could the lead be broken .
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your second hard drive could be broken.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are the jumpers set correctly?
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

cable set it correctly ? perhaps it fell out, i had that once, on the motherboard entry..
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

My guess is the jumper settings are incorrect. A driver or other OS change may have caused the change in operation.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

If they worked before and some day gone missing from nothing it is broken and u can throw it away. However if u added something before that then u should check ur jumpers and other devices u connected through IDE (usually u can connect maximum 4 devices)
  • zarahuztra1
  • zarahuztra1

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont think the prob w my hd is in the wires or jumpers. yesterday it suddenly showed up, n was functioning as normal. but 2day when i turned on my pc, it was gone again :(
any1 experienced that problem? n what can the problem be?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

my friend had the same problem with his backup drive, all he had to do was re-insert the cables and reset the jumpers
  • zarahuztra1
  • zarahuztra1

Post 3+ Months Ago

2day it reappeared...i guess next time i restart my pc, it will be gone again....(thinking of never shut my pc off again)
  • tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know if this has ne bearing but i mean my light in my room..it turns on and off like there is a short sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt....id try and get the data off then toy around with it like someone previously said set it as a master and such ...make sure the ide cables are tight to the drive and to the motherboard or ide card
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've delt with old homes,and bad outlets ,bad power strips ..It could ,might ,maybe not be that ? .lol

What you have to do is uninstall ,remove everything ,and reinstall ?
If you think it's a hardware problem (maybe new ribbion cables)
then again it could be your MOBO's inf drivers ? When was the last time you went to the manf. and downloaded and installed new drivers? .
Could be as easy as going into Computer Management,and going to Disk Management, and looking for that drive ,right clicking on it ,and
Reactivate Volume (thats what it will say ) and click on it ..try that

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts