HD sectors bad.

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick question.
I have an external hard drive that is saying it has 3 bad sectors. Am I just SOL on trying to get my data off of it or is there another way. I can semi get the computer to recognize it but its sketchy.
I really need the data off of that drive.

Any ideas?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your hard drive currently unresponsive and you are not able to get anything off of it? I would recommend doing a full scan disk and make sure you check the box that says to Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. That might not fix the bad sectors, but it should hopefully at least mark them so that the hard drive can function as normal. That has worked for me sometimes in the past.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

for windows it wont register it long enough for it to even pull up in my computer
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 3+ Months Ago

My advice for you is to scan the external Hard disk as it will be the one and only way to get your problem solved because as you have told that you can't get the datas present in the hard disk.
  • rd1
  • rd1

Post 52 days ago

use bootable partition magic its the best way to remove the bad sector and also for copying your data not to lose them
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 51 days ago

Well alittle update on this. I had used a USB 3.0 adapter and plugged it in on my computer (USB 3.0) and it fired right on up!. I hurried up and grabbed my data and once it was done. I went ahead and ran a S.M.A.R.T report and short/long both said the drive was bad. I had wrote zeros to the drive and then used a goodoly magnet against the drive and a sledge hammer a few times.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts