Sempron 2400 processor on gigabyte 7n400L mobo - how?

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm configuring a new mobo and processor and having some problems. I am using a gigabyte 7n400L mobo and a sempron 2400 processor. I am using no case fan and I am using the CPU fan that came with the processor.

Supported CPU list
Motherboard manual

Now here is the problem. No matter how I configure it, the POST reports that the processor is running at 1000Mhz, and the CMOS reports that the CPU is running abnormally hot (58 degrees celcius, and it's just sitting there displaying the temperature).

I currently have the Clock_SW dip switch set to ON and the multiplier dip switches all set to off (AUTO). Those details are all on page 14 of the manual. The chipset features page of the CMOS currently looks like this:

System Performance [Manual]
FSB Frequency [100 Mhz]
Memory Frequency [166%]
Resulting Frequency 333Mhz
AGP Frequency [Normal]

(BTW I have 512MB of PC3200 DDR RAM in one of the RAM slots)

does anyone know what i need to set the config to so that the processor runs properly (as in, not so hot it is about to ignite, and at whatever the speed it is supposed to run at)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Refer to your manual and set your Multipiler DIP switches to 233Mhz rather than auto.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Refer to your manual and set your Multipiler DIP switches to 233Mhz rather than auto.

But that's the problem. My multiplier dip switches are multipliers, not a particular setting. I can set them from (I think) 1x to 18x or auto.

I'll try setting my FSB to 233Mhz, but this page clearly states that the sempron 2400 is supposed to run with an fsb speed of 333mhz, and my mobo doesn't let me set it above 300 mhz.

I really don't want to burn out this processor. I've already managed to burn out one of these, and it will look a bit suspicious if I make a second waranty claim with the same problem.

The motherboard didn't have out-of-the-box support for sempron processors. I have since updated the firmware to the latest version, but only after I learned the hard way.

EDIT: was about to change the FSB frequency, but noticed the resulting frequency was up around 466mhz. The ram I have in this box is DDR400, and cannot run faster than 400mhz. I have no idea how to get this thing working properly. Any help appreciated.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Downloaded the manual for your GA-7N400-L mobo and took a look.

You need to set your CLK_SW to "AUTO" (DIP UP - DIP switch next to your Northbridge and AGP slot) then you need to configure your CLK_RATIO to support your CPU's multiplier. AMD Sempron 2400's had a multipiler of 10x therefore you need to set the DIP switches next to your RAM slots as [0 1 1 1 0 0] where 0 is off and 1 is on.

Then go into your BIOS and set the FSB to 333Mhz.

As for the 58 Degress CPU temp, thats not particularly hot for an AMD CPU.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=31283
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did exactly what you said, THANK YOU! Works perfectly now. Still a little hotter than I would have liked but that appears to be normal for AMDs. Also I remember there was a discussion here a while ago that said that the cpu thermometer in the mobo was unreliable. I think that must be true because its up around 50 degrees all the time, even when it's been switched off all night and only been turned on for the ten seconds it takes to open up the CMOS to view the temperature.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download a program called CPUz. It gives accurate readings for all CPU related items.

Glad its working for you now though. :)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ARGH! My sister just got home and turned on the computer, nothing happened. I was interupted to go and have a look. I took of the side of the case, and noticed that when I pressed the power button, the CPU fan powers up for about 3 seconds before stopping.

I put the good old Duron back in. Works perfectly (except its a bit slow).

WHY DID MY SEMPRON BURN OUT? I have the latest firmware for my mobo and I had the right FSB settings. It wasn't even particularly hot inside the case.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure the CPU has definatly burned out by removing the CMOS battery to reset your BIOS and set all DIP switches to AUTO.

If it still doesnt boot then it is most certainly your CPU and we can go from there.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it might be time for you to invest in another motherboard... :shock: Ive never burnt a CPU out.

*plum*
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the board is only a couple of months old. It is a gigabyte 7n400L, and it has an nforce 2 chipset.

I had installed the right bios updates for it. It should have been able to work with that cpu.

Well i guess that's the last time I buy a gigabyte mobo. I have never had any trouble with their intel boards, but I don't plan on buying any intel CPUs in the future.

Thanks for all the help (and patience) getting it working.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts