servers

• gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

my friend and i were thinking about buying a server to run websites that we make on. we want about 1TB of stoage 4gb of ram and about two 3.00ghz processors. anyone have any good places to buy this kind of server from at a desent price? and how much do you think a server like this should cost?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you want to buy the server, as in set it up in your house somewhere, or do you want to rent it from someone along with a connection to the internet?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

buy it and set it up in my house. so that i can run more than one website from it and use it to gain more experiance in my feilds of intrest.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

About $10,500 from Dell, not including the internet connection you'll need to begin hosting sites.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

so would you say that dell was the best option? and what is $10,500 in english pounds?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

About £5,600

Dell is a popular choice, but you will want to do some research of course. You can see some more compairisons for Dell here:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/defau ... l=en&s=gen
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you might be a little high on that price lucassix. I just bought two new Dell Poweredge servers a few months ago with 2GB RAM, four Xeon 3.4Ghz CPU's, 300GB RAID 5 drives, one 32bit the other 64bit for just a little over $6 grand each. (That inlcuded Windows 2003 server for each and SQL 2005 server for one and a backup tape drive for the other.)
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats quite good. and that was in dollors?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

by the way can any server run on the internet? or do u need specific types for internet use?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked the quote. This is what it was exactly in US dollars. I don't know what that would be in pounds.

Manufacturer Product/Service Quantity Unit Price Extended Price
Dell PowerEdge Server $5,495.00 (32bit) Windows 2003 SBS (We already had 50 user CALS)
Dell PowerEdge Server $7,549.00 (64bit) Windows 2003 Enterprise
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard $1,625.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 5 CAL $999.00
Microsoft CD Media $34.50
Installation $4,760.00 (56 hours - outsourced)
Sales Tax $1432.38
Shipping $116.00
Total
$22,010.88

You can use any server grade machine for running a website. It doesn't have to be Windows. It's just what we use. Regardless, Windows or Linux, you'll have to have a web server installed on it. Windows comes with IIS 6 by default. Most people using Linux servers run Apache.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

right ok. so when i go onto the dell website it gives me verious options for servers, ones for small busnessis one for medium sized ones and one for large sized ones. the cheapest server starts at about 500 english pounds so i could buy that server and install linux for about 200 pounds and run it on the internet for a small website that doesnt get many hits? or have i missed somthing out. sorry if i sound clueless, i am, buying servers isnt somthing i have done before as i am only 15!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need to look into getting a good hardware firewall as well. Plus you'll also need to set up a business account with your ISP to obtain a static IP address. You'll also need a domain name obviously and have it set up to route through your ISP's name servers. Then toss in the CAT5 cable you'll need to connect everything. So count on some additional expenses.

Pretty impressive getting started with a web server at only age 15. Good luck!
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your help, the reason i wanted to get started now is that i want to set up computer systems as a living when im older and i want to be able to mess around with stuff lie servers and setting up websites, at the moment i have one website but due to it being on someone elses server i cant make any new ones. so i want a server of my own and me and a friend are going to try and set up a image hosting website, we have tryed and failed so far though.

i was thinking of something along the lines of this:

http://premierconfigure.euro.dell.com/d ... l=en&s=pub

would it be any good for what i want? or will it need more things added to it?
also can i use my current pc to conect to this and let people upload using ftp?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your link requires a login. Anyway, this might help you abit in understanding things.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topi ... l=en&s=bsd

Run through the tutorial on "Setting up your networked business" to get an overview how servers work.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks that was really usefull. but it only shows how to set up internal things, how would u run a website off a server set up for office use like how is shown in the guide?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already explained that

Quote:
Plus you'll also need to set up a business account with your ISP to obtain a static IP address. You'll also need a domain name obviously and have it set up to route through your ISP's name servers.

If you can't or don't want the expense of a business account you could try something like easyDNS (not free but cheaper.)
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

oryt yer, and stil run the website off my own server?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

it also said in the video that u needed a monitor for your server, coudl i run it without one and conect to it via ftp instead?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts