Setting up a windows server, few questions

• section8ff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Houston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I got a server that I am going to be setting up at the house, to use as a file/print server as well as an offline web developer.

I have never setup a server, or a network from scratch, what things should I know? What are some things I need to know, and somethings I should avoid? I think it is running windows server 2003, but I will not know until I am able to dig into it tonight. I am going to be running 2 laptops off the server, both running windows XP home. We will be adding the printer later, as we dont have the space for it at this time.

I will be on tonite with a complete spec list, including all the software and everything.

Thank you in advance,

Section8

*EDIT*

Also, this server has a tape drive backup, what other options can be used instead of the tape? Thank you for the help again,

Section8
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like the server OS is already installed on the machine. If that's the case, then boot the machine and see if DHCP is running or if it is going to take an IP address from your router. Make sure that only one of them is providing IP addresses for the network.

After that, find out the domain name which should be something.local and join the other PCs to that domain. I hope that you have the password for the administrator account on the server, otherwise forget everything I said until you get it.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

My mother-in-law said that everything was returned to stock so to speak, so I am going to assume that there is no password on it, if not I think she knows it.

Thank you for the help, it should help a lot

Section8ff
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, good luck.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, got it setup, powered it on, and it tells me there is a bad kernel insert system disk. I dont have a system disk, and dont know if I can get one. Would I be able to run a linux server, and still connect the windows based computers?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't jump ship yet. Did you try F8? It's a long shot but if you can get to the boot menu, try Last Known Good Config or Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work and you want to use some from of Linux or Unix, you can do that. I use FreeBSD as a local FTP and SSH server. Local meaning, no client connections from the outside. If you want the server to run applications for the Windows clients, then you have to be sure that they will run on *nix.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you don't have any of the installation disks for the Windows Server 2003?

I would suggest as Don said, that you could use a form of Linux, but to make sure that the apps needed could run on it, or under a Window emulator like WINE.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate everyone's help, and am using all given advice. My primary focus has turned to the possible upgrade of the machine, which I have priced at about 700 for a complete rebuild, minus the tower.

Thank you again to all,

Section8ff

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts