Shared Document Problem

• NedBoe
  • NedBoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello you all;
I am having some problems that i couldn`t figure out long time. it is very odd. highly appericate your help.

I have a workgroup network in the office. There are 5 pc in the workgroup. They all have same group name, ips are dynamic. each pc can see each other and all pc connect to internet by router...
I am using one pc as a file server.everyone connect to that pc (lets call it "A").There is one folder on the "A" (called OFFICE FILES) is shared. Only one pc (lets call B)can not access to OFFICE FILES...Every single pc can access to OFFICE FILES on the A but B.
I have tried million things but no solution. I checked permissions, firewall ,uninstall install every single software that can effect but nothing happend. Listen to this If I change the shared folder permission for "Everyone" pc B can access to OFFICE FILES. another strange thing that I can not ping to A from any pc. but I can ping to every pc from A.
I started to pulling my hair of.
Anybody there to help...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have some sort of firewall running on A or B? and if the Everyone group works, why not leave it that way if there are only 5 computers connected and they all need access anyway?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What OS is each of the PCs running?

Most home routers have 4 ports, how is the 5th PC connected? It sounds like there is a switch or a hub involved.

If there is then the setup should be
modem > router > switch > all PCs, although some PCs can be connected to the router and some to the switch. However the WAN port on the router should be connected to the modem.
  • NedBoe
  • NedBoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have some sort of firewall running on A or B? and if the Everyone group works, why not leave it that way if there are only 5 computers connected and they all need access anyway?

I do have Bitdefender and I uninstalled bitdefender, turned off windows firewall too, but did not work. I dont want some pc to have full access, i cant leave "everyone" to full access...3 pc must have full access and 2 pc must have only read option.
  • NedBoe
  • NedBoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

What OS is each of the PCs running?

Most home routers have 4 ports, how is the 5th PC connected? It sounds like there is a switch or a hub involved.

If there is then the setup should be
modem > router > switch > all PCs, although some PCs can be connected to the router and some to the switch. However the WAN port on the router should be connected to the modem.

Every pc has WinXP Pro with SP3. Before install SP3 everything was ok. At the beginning, on the pc "A" I could not install sp3 because there was 5 user on the A and one shared folder, it didnt allow me to update sp3.Then I formatted and installed xp pro again with only admin user, updated sp3 then added 5 users.
Network confugiration is as you guess "modem > router > switch > all PCs" wan port on the router connected to the modem.Everthing seems fine on the modem, switch and router. There is no any firewall settings for switch though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts