PC shuts down during boot

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I turn the PC on, it will make it partially through the Windows boot screen, then the PC powers down. If I start it again, it will go through the bad shutdown screens, partially through the boot screens, then shut down.

If I get into BIOS on startup, the PC will stay on until I exit BIOS and try to boot.

The video card was caked with dust, bad. I removed the video card from the system, and used the onboard video, and it still powers down.

I temporarily swapped hard drives, and went through installing Ubuntu, which worked, but even with the different HDD and OS, the PC shuts down during normal boot.

My guess is the power supply is bad, but I'd like to get you guys input before I buy one.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think that if its making it to the Windows Boot Screen, that the issue is probably something corrupt with Windows. If the power supply is bad, I would think it wouldn't even make it that far, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried booting into windows with Safe Mode? Or restoring to a previous version? Or have you tried repairing the Windows installation?

What version of Windows are you using? What happened immediately before this started happening? Was it powered down like normal?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting the exact same behavior with a different HDD, and different OS. (Ubuntu VS Windows)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you get another power supply to test? If the power supply is good then you can move onto the RAM, processor, and motherboard. You could be experiencing an overheating issue and could be fixed by taking out the processor and cleaning off the old Arctic Silver and reapplying it.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Plug it into a single socket with nothing else running on it

I have had issues in the past where if the machine wasn't plugged in by itself it would give some really crazy behaviour.

The other thing is to try boot into safe made, perhaps there is a service crashing that has been set to shut the machine down on failure? Something like that love letter that cooked the RPC service causing the machines to continually shut down, that or there could be some sort of driver sending crazy commands causing the hardware to go into self preservation mode (off) :)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds to me like the processor might be overheating. Is the heatsink/fan caked with dust like the video card was? Newer chipsets with integrated temperature monitoring have the ability to turn themselves off to save themselves. You may be able to see some of this temp info in the bios.
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to concur with Code Ramblings. When I have had issues like this that are software independent it is either usually a corrupt BIOS or the CPU has overheated and is not longer stable. Since you mentioned the dust that would be the most logical. I myself have been guilty of not cleaning my computer and I know better! It has happened to me, but no more! I clean them on a regular basis now.
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it may be due to the battery problem my solution for this problem is to replace the old battery with the new one. Due to the power problem in the battery also it may happen like this sometimes Orelse, you may go with the Bigwebmaster.
  • rd1
  • rd1

Post 75 days ago

i agree with bigwebmaster, i think its an issue related to the windows because it stays on when you're on BIOS screen without shutting down as you said
  • HowTo1212
  • Born
  • Born
  • HowTo1212

Post 37 days ago

So this is how it began. In my house was a blackout and i was on mine computer. And everything just turned off as mine computer when i was working on it. After that 10 min later i turned it on again when the power came. It asked me if i want to turn my windows normally or safe mode... I clicked start windows normally. Then it appears starting windows... Then i was waiting 30 seconds for him to start windows but then appeared some blue screen with some error 0x0000f4 and after a few seconds it just shuts down and it restarts automatically and i dont even click anything and then it goes again and again..
  • HowTo1212
  • Born
  • Born
  • HowTo1212

Post 37 days ago

So this is how it began. In my house was a blackout and i was on mine computer. And everything just turned off as mine computer when i was working on it. After that 10 min later i turned it on again when the power came. It asked me if i want to turn my windows normally or safe mode... I clicked start windows normally. Then it appears starting windows... Then i was waiting 30 seconds for him to start windows but then appeared some blue screen with some error 0x0000f4 and after a few seconds it just shuts down and it restarts automatically and i dont even click anything and then it goes again and again..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts