Slave Hard Drive messed up after format

• scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my system I have 2 hard drives. i formatted one of them and re-installed windows xp. the pther one I left alone so that I could keep the files on it. when I was done installing I saw that i could not access my 80GB 2nd hard drive. The PC made me format that too. So I did, but it is now only showing 31.4GB of space for the drive. I dont know where the other 48GB went but but drive is empty. Can any1 help me get all my space back?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

It obviously is not empty, you may have formatted the free space and not the whole drive, I would use your xp disk to format it again without the os drive being installed, or you could use the utilities provided by the harddrive manufacturer to format it from boot.

WC
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx I will try that
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like it was formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is a way to convert to FAT to NTFS without reformating. i forgot though <_>
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

lola like i said. i always make sure that i format my comps in NTFS. but what i dont understand is that im buliding a comp for a friend and he wants it formatted in FAT32. why the helicopter does he want that? i just figured he didn't know wtf he was talking about. sooo

NTFS = New tecnoligey Filing System, right?...yaup.
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I was away for a lil while. The conversion thing did not work. the original copy of xp i had on my comp was FAT 32 and I switched the cd drive when I re-installed windows. could that have something to do w/ it? Is it even worth trying to do all the installations again? I don't know much about computers so if its a dumb question... sorry... I just cant figure out where all the space went and if I can even get it back. I used all the data guard tools that came with the thing.
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

i meant to say the c:\ drive (not cd). <-------- line 2
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you try formatting the second drive again? Right click my computer and select manage. Then click on Disk Management. You should see your drives listed on the right and some graphics at the bottom representing your disks. Make sure Drive 0 is NTFS, if it isn't run the convert command from the command line to make it NTFS. You will be required to reboot to make that happen. Then on Disk 1 right click the drive and select format and pick NTFS full, not quick. You lose all your data but you will recover your lost drive space. FAT32 has problems with large hard drives.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

They both have to be formatted in the same format either fat 32 or ntfs, in order to be seen by each other.

WC
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

NTFS can see FAT32 so not totally correct.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

it may see it but I have seen where their are issues accessing it correcty

WC
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

they were both in ntfs tried the formatting and its still not showing up. I'll try any more ideas anyone has and I appreciate everyone helping me out with this.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

What have you tried so far ?
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried formatting in windows, outside of windows w/ XP disk, Formatting it as FAT 32 and converting it, used the diagnostic tools off of western digitals site, thats probly it
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried to see what size the drive is being seen as with the western digital software? It should allow you to set the size of everything from there.

WC
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find that option in the software. Every place I've seen the number and tried to change it it wouldnt let me... actually I only had the 31 GB option
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

havfe to do this stuff from dos......if trying from windows it will not work.

WC
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site wont let me get there dos based program. i'm wondering if maybe I dont have it setup right. When I had 1st installed this thing I never messed with the jumpers becvase I had no clue what I was doing. I just popped the thing in there and it worked so i never even thought about it. If thats the reason this is happening then I apologize for wasting everyones time. I think what I'm gonna do now is jsut have someone I know from my work to look at it (i havent seen him since it started thats why ive been trying to find out through forums). Thanks for everyones help though.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gimme an email and I will send it to you.Or if you have msn messenger I can send it that way.

WC

scf2510 wrote:
the site wont let me get there dos based program. i'm wondering if maybe I dont have it setup right. When I had 1st installed this thing I never messed with the jumpers becvase I had no clue what I was doing. I just popped the thing in there and it worked so i never even thought about it. If thats the reason this is happening then I apologize for wasting everyones time. I think what I'm gonna do now is jsut have someone I know from my work to look at it (i havent seen him since it started thats why ive been trying to find out through forums). Thanks for everyones help though.
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry it takes me so long to reply... jsut got ncaa 2006 on my xbox... im addicted already... my e-mail is scf2510@yahoo.com
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sent titled Western Digital Diagnostic Software

WC
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the tools and finally it recognized my drive as a 80GB drive. Only poblem was that then I couldn't back into windows. it told me that windows did not generate ARC name for HAL sytem paths. kind hesitant to try it again especially cuz I used my win xp disk to repair and since i chose no password option during the setup that wouldnt work either. I just re-Installed windows since its like day 4 or 5 with it on and I have all the stuff I put on it backed up on cd.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure you don't have a jumper in the wrong place on the drive that won't show full size? Some of them come with an extra jumper setting to limit drive size to 32 gig or so to accomodate older systems.
If you're running an NTFS drive with Windows XP on it and stick in any other drive as a slave or cable select thats FAT32 the files on it can be seen and accessed. The types are backwards compatible. You might want to grab a copy of Partition Magic and use it to sort things out.
  • scf2510
  • scf2510

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll probably have to do that( take the drive out and check the jumpers again), But first I'm wondering if I put the C:\ in dynamic disk will that allow my drive to be read right? when I was gonna try it w/ the slave drive it said no operating systems on any other drives were gonna be able to run. If I set the 20GB drive up (c:\) w/ the dyanamic disk drive could I then do it w/ the slave drive or would i may not even need to? i'm only looking for a possible way to get it working w/out taking the thing out becuase it's kinda hard to get to in my pc, and i'm lazy. Anyone think that may work? or am I just asking stupid questions?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts