slave HDD has is lying to me?

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was copying over some documents to my slave hdd and I got a warning that my hdd was full. So I went to check what the capacity was (40GB) and I went to check what the folder I was copying into was at (9.5 GB), I have no clue why my hdd is telling me it's reached it's capacity when the only folder in that hdd is only 9.5 GB???

Could it be a sign that my slave drive is slowly dying on me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you run chkdsk (or Scan disk for 9x kernel system) with auto fix set on it?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I did that last night and I didn't receive any errors. It's really really strange.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey 613flavah, I'll toss in a suggestion that you can check up on. The disk may have a quota on it (I dont know why it would). If you're using XP, go to Start -> Run -> type in diskmgmt.msc and when the new screen pops up, right click on the drive in question and select properties. Go over to the quota tab and see if it was messed with. I'm not too sure how to do the same thing with other O/S's, but the long way is to go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management and you'll find a link to disk management there. Failing that, maybe check for hidden files? I thought it might be a permissions error but that would tell you that you dont have permission to write to the disk. So I'll cross my fingers and hope its a quota thing!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx for the suggestion daremedy. I'll do that as soon as I get home (at work right now)
:D
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what daremedy... I did what you suggested and I noticed that in my disk management window, the drive in question has an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle, it's saying it's at risk & has errors!! I'm not sure what this means :( Should I be worried?? How would I fix that? I never noticed those problems before strange. I also just noticed that in windows explorer, everything is listed in black font but the drive in question is displayed in bright blue font. Any clue why? (yes I'm using xp)
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since you said nothing is on it (from what I see in the thread), you could just try deleting the partition, making a new one and formating it for use.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
everything is listed in black font but the drive in question is displayed in bright blue font. Any clue why? (yes I'm using xp)

Your drive has been had its compression setting enabled, any file, folder or drive that has a blue font colour has had compression enabled on it. It doesnt harm your drive so theres nothing to worry about there, if you want to un-enable compression :

Right Click Drive
    Select Properties
    At the bottom of the Drive Properties panel should be two selection boxes, untick the one that enables disk compression

Have you thought about formatting the drive ?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Enigma :) I'm going to try your suggestion deirdre thanks again everyone.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts