OS on small hard drive?

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

so a friend of mine and I was talking and we were debating if it was better to install your os on a smaller hard drive and store all your other stuff on a second larger hard drive. I think it's true to have your os on a smaller hard drive, any opinions out there?

and if it's better to have your os on a smaller hard drive, such as WD 74G Raptor...are there any suggestions for a good hard drive to install your OS on?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

A WD Raptor is the best none SCSI performance drive out there at the moment so it would be the best option to go for in terms of load times for your O/S.

The thing you need to think about is are you going to notice the performance difference between a WD Raptor and say the Samsung Spinpoint in terms of O/S load times?

I use a WD Caviar SE and i can boot into Windows in approx 20 Secs max, thats fast enough for me and I don't see how a Raptor is going to make that big a difference.

Gaming on the other hand is a different matter, the Raptor will out perform my Caviar SE and therefore is a good investment.

What I`m getting at is are you going to notice the difference in load times by getting say the WD Raptor, or would a more generic HDD do you just as well ?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, the raptor's definitely the way to go for your primary system drive. Will be lightning speed.

Then I'd probably just pick up a pair of Maxtor or WD 250Gig SATA150 16Meg cache drives (best value for money - around $95 or so each) for your data, swap space (for photoshop, premiere, and other apps where you can setup dedicated swap space on a particular partition), downloads, work, etc.

I've got my PC setup similar right now, although I'm just using an 80Gig ATA100 drive w/8Meg cache to boot from, and a couple of big SATA drives for work, downloads, DVR, photos, etc.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

how does the cache level affect load time?

what if i got a 7200rpm HDD with a 16mb cache level compare to the Raptor..
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

or one of these as your installation drive. however, that plus the cost of ram would make it an illogical solution. plus, windows can get a lot bigger than 4 gigs.
version two allows for up to 16 gigs of ram though!

*warning*need to be able to read chinese*warning*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts