Snowball on Laptop

• cameron5
  • cameron5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently own a Dell Precision M70. Yesterday my son threw a snowball in the house (yes, a snowball) and of course it hit my laptop right in the center of the screen. We wiped off the laptop and made the outside completely dry, and it still worked for about 20 minutes. Then everything became unresponsive and the laptop shut down. Now, it turns on but right after the Dell loading screen it shuts down. I took out the battery and the disk drive and let it dry, but after letting it dry for a day it doesn't work. What are the chances that my laptop can still live, and what would I have to do?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it still under any sort of warrenty from Dell ?
  • cameron5
  • cameron5

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Is it still under any sort of warrenty from Dell ?

It's 3.5 years old, so even if I had a 3 year warranty (which I think I don't) it would be up. However, if Dell could fix it for anything less than $500 I would be willing to pay, considering a new one costs about $1000.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since it displays the Dell logo,It may just be your hard drive. The logo displaying indicates the power supply is probably OK, and the computer is reading BIOS info, so the motherboard is likely OK.

If you have any friends with a laptop (preferable a Dell), see if you can swap drives and see if it will boot to Windows. You can do this even with other brands - I was using a hard drive from a Gateway notebook for months on a Dell. (It might get to where you'd normally login but might ask to activate Windows - don't worry about that. If it gets that far, you'll know it's your hard drive that's shot, just get a replacement. Of course you'll have to reinstall Windows and Drivers and you'll lose anything that was on the old drive, but at least you'll have a working computer.

I can't tell you the number of times things like this have happened. Not just posts at OZZU but with friends and associates. Problem is, your current situation could have been avoided.

When something gets spilled on a laptop, IMMEDIATELY, pull the plug and remove the battery. Then worry about cleaning up the mess and letting it dry out. And let it dry out for at least 24 hours or longer before you even thing about turning it on.
  • cameron5
  • cameron5

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, thanks. The files on the computer were not 100% necessary but is the hard drive alive enough to extract the files?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would find the driest place in the house and leave it there for a few days. Maybe put some baking soda or something that absorbs moisture right next to it.

I've seen a lot of these wet laptop threads, and the people who start them always leave you hanging. All I know is that I've had mixed results with dropping electronics in water and them working afterwards. The longest I've waited for something to dry was a week and that was a cellphone I ended up replacing before it dried.
  • cameron5
  • cameron5

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you remove the hard drive of a Precision M70? I unscrewed the cover and saw a bunch of blah that didn't seem to be removable.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never done a Precision. The Dells I use at work, turn the laptop upside down. The hard drive cover has 3 screws. Unscrew them and you should see the hard drive. There's a piece of plastic that you can pull the hard drive out of the socket. The drive should be held in a metal case by 4 screws. You can unscrew them remove the drive from the metal case and replace any hard drive the same size. Most laptop drives are the same size and pin configuration, so pretty much any should work if you can get your hands on one to test it with.
  • cameron5
  • cameron5

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I've never done a Precision. The Dells I use at work, turn the laptop upside down. The hard drive cover has 3 screws. Unscrew them and you should see the hard drive. There's a piece of plastic that you can pull the hard drive out of the socket. The drive should be held in a metal case by 4 screws. You can unscrew them remove the drive from the metal case and replace any hard drive the same size. Most laptop drives are the same size and pin configuration, so pretty much any should work if you can get your hands on one to test it with.

Is this a hard drive or RAM?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's your hard drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts