SonicWall hits 100% CPU usage during Upload

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a user uploading some files to youtube and when they start the upload my sonicwall jumps to 100% CPU usage and completely bogs down. It seems this uploading is the cause but now how do I fix? I'm not sure why the sonicwall is being affected in this way. A few clients run to a small switch. The switch gets its uplink from the sonicwall and typically everyone is happy. Has anyone ever ran into this before? I've just upgraded to the lasted OS enhanced version firmware.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the problem happening before you upgraded the firmware? Or did you attempt to fix the problem by updating?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh grinch2171. It's been a heckofa past 7 days. Thanks for replying. I couldn't really determine this issue being due to a network infrastructure. It just seemed crazy that any setting pertaining to networking (WINS,DNS,Firewall,etc) would cause the CPU to max out. I attempted to fix the problem with the upgraded firmware. I finally got sonicwall on chat (i called at least a hundred times and waited 20+ minutes, emails went days before an automated respond). We do have a support package but I was needing help in the meantime. I was able to get good help from the online chat (only got disconnected twice). It didn't take long. The support tech said it's probably a security protocol causing the issue. Go to Network->Zones and disable all security measure for LAN and WAN.

Now, I lucked up and tracked down a user who was uploading to youtube and determined that to be the cause of of the CPU to jump to 100%. I could then simply re-enable each security protocol one by one and I got the user to start an upload to test. When I disabled all security the user could upload and the CPU was good. When I enabled Anti-Spyware the user's upload caused the CPU to go to 100%.

We disabled scanning outgoing files for Anti-spyware and our problems are fixed.

I'm not sure if this is youtube specific or browser specific as user's that were using an FTP client to upload files did not cause the sonicwall to hit 100%.

I think just know if CPU utilization increases that much that's it's not necessarily a bottleneck or collision. I ran several packet monitoring programs, but they didn't show anything that a router could not handle. However, there was no way to know that the spyware scanning system would use so much CPU.

IMO, I think the upgraded firmware should have fixed this. Not sure why the Anti-spyware scan can't optimally scan outgoing files.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the update, was beginning to wonder where you ran off to.

That is obviously a problem SonicWall needs to address. I don't really see the point in scanning outgoing packets for spyware. For one, anything on the inside should be scanned for spyware and virus infections via your anti-virus solution, so you "should" be clean going out. Scanning inbound packets is definitely worth it since you don't know where it is coming from and whether or not it is clean.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, That's exactly what I told the support tech. He really didn't provide a fix but in this situation I didn't see any reason to clean outbound packets so our fix was to just turn it off.

Funny, I think overall the device is working better such as people using FTP clients are uploading faster and I think web traffic in general is moving faster.

I was running around this office for a solid week trying to find the machine that kept causing the issue. Long hours and no breaks.
  • Sanso
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sanso

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also had a problem
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sanso wrote:
I also had a problem