Sony Laptop won't boot or read recovery disc

• JElias1974
  • Born
  • Born
  • JElias1974
  • Loc: Miami, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all!

I'm at my wits end and could really use some guidance.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA32. I had an issue the day before and my computer crapped out and I used my recovery discs. I was able to restore my C:\ drive and keep the contents of my D:\ drive. However whenever I tried to customize my laptop back to how I had it, specifically uninstall the factory installed virus scanner (PC-Cillin) and re-download the Norton's Virus Scan (which I had payed for a year's worth of service) and AdAware.

I would either A) be unable to complete the installation process of Norton's Virus Scan B) be unable to run any spyware programs.

This would result in my being back in square one and starting all over again with my recovery disc.

My last attempt seemed to take a lot longer, but seemed to take better. Once I finished the 3 CD recovery discs, and one Application recovery disc, it rebooted and went to the blue screen where it usually performs a scan disc. It did so and mentioned something about bad clusters and cleaning them up,and then it took about an hour to verify free space.

Ok, the eventual result was in my attempting to bring about my customization once more. The laptop froze and again I had to turn it off. Except this time, when I reboot, I have my screen flash the Sony logo and then proceed to a black screen and nothing else happens. It does not read the recovery CD, it does not try to start Windows, it will not even bring up an error message. The little red light that usually blink and indicate the computer is thinking stay solid and do nothing.

Is my laptop dead, dead? What can I do to at least perform the recovery once more and at least get it back to a state where it's functional and proceed from there.

Please help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check in the laptop bios if there is some kind of hard drive test. At this point my best guess is that your hard drive has gone bad, but I'm not sure since you stated that the laptop is unable to read a cd.

Try to boot the computer from another bootable cd to attempt to narrow down your problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

My last attempt seemed to take a lot longer, but seemed to take better. Once I finished the 3 CD recovery discs, and one Application recovery disc, it rebooted and went to the blue screen where it usually performs a scan disc.

I'm wondering why you consider a blue screen and performing a scan disc "normal" That shouldn't be the case.
  • JElias1974
  • Born
  • Born
  • JElias1974
  • Loc: Miami, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Quote:

My last attempt seemed to take a lot longer, but seemed to take better. Once I finished the 3 CD recovery discs, and one Application recovery disc, it rebooted and went to the blue screen where it usually performs a scan disc.

I'm wondering why you consider a blue screen and performing a scan disc "normal" That shouldn't be the case.

On this computer specifically, it seemed to be a normal function for my Windows XP. For instance, where you would access certain maintenence features such as Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk, if you select ScanDisk it would reboot the computer and it would default to a blue Windows XP screen where it would usually say something about "Performing Disk Check". It would also occur if you had to shut down and reboot. So from my perspective, it always seemed like a normal function. Then again, I am no expert by any means, so if this is the exception rather than the rule, then it's news to me. The only part of the blue screen function that I never saw before was when it did the "verifying disk space" message.

If indeed my harddrive is corrupted, that is my drive "C" where all the Windows components are, is there a way to access and salvage files stored on drive "D"?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not quite following you. Keep in mind I'm not an overly huge fan of Sony products. I think they have some great quality but their poprietary nature ticks me off at times. Very hard to repair. You should never have to do a reboot with XP on Defrag. Defrag should run in normal Windows with XP (although I always recommend to defrag in safe mode).

Let's take it from scratch. You're on a laptop? Chances are you don't have two hard drives, so I'm guessing D: is a partition of you're primary drive?

Scandisk is not a valid command executable with XP as best I know nor is it an XP option in Accessories | System Tools . I assume you mean chkdsk. Chkdsk won't run until after reboot. I'm not sure I've ever seen it as a blue screen background, though. Only ever seen it as black background with white foreground text.

In terms of recovery? You could do a repair install of XP. If your data is stored on a partitioned drive, it shouldn't be affected. After the repair install, it should (theoretically) repair the install, but not affect your saved data. It's a little hard to say for sure, since I can't see what's actually happening on your computer. Hope that helps.
  • Inaninas
  • Born
  • Born
  • Inaninas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Try to reset the BIOS to its defaults and try to perform the System Recovery using the Recovery CDs. ( Note: before resetting the BIOS just disconnect any of the external hardware devices such as Scanners,...) and try it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts