Sound Card

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever since i upgraded this Laptop to Windows XP Pro my sound card has not been working. I assumed this was because i need to reinstall the sound card, so i came across a little problem.

Does anyone know how i can find out what my Sound card is called so i can download the appropriate driver?

Or am i getting this all wrong? could there be another problem i am having rather than just needing to reinstall the driver.

Its been driving me mad that i have had no decent sound on this machine, the only radio station i can get any sort of good ariel from is quite rubbish and i am keen on ramming a few CD's in to make working a bit more interesting.

Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

What brand/model is it?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what i am trying to find out. The computer was bought several years ago from a company that build computers and basically give it without any OS on it. I cannot find out where the Sound Card Drive CDs are so i am going to have to download it, but i dont know what i am downloading and i dont know how i can find out.

I will spend some time this morning trying to fix this and let you know if i sort it. Thanks!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to Run and typed in "dxdiag" which aparently shows you what your Sound card and all the drivers are called, when doing this i noticed that the screen looked like this...

http://img221.echo.cx/img221/6637/diagnostic8wf.png (too big to show on Ozzu width wise)

This basically shows that i dont have a Sound card although i know for sure that i do have a sound card. I am not certain how to get access to my sound card to try and reconnect it as its a laptop, if it wasnt a Laptop i wouldnt have a problem.

Strange. Does anyone know much about Laptops and how to get access to all the drives.

I am looking at this dxdiag thing and it says my machine was built by "MTC" and it is model "8640" whether this helps in any way. There is no phsical ID on the computer like you would get on some others unfortunatly so i dont really think i can help other than that. Any other spec need just give me a shout and i will let you know!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there anything listed under device manager for Sound?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download and install PC Wizard 2005. It's free and will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about what's under the hood:
http://www.cpuid.org/pcw.php

If that doesn't find your soundcard I'm not sure what to tell you. Chances are it's onboard, and potentially defective.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it should be under device manager....if u dont know how to get there right click "my computer" go to properties click the hardware tab then click device manager and u should see a line of text saying Sound, video and game controllers click that and u should see it if you dont see the device its possible that it could have been knocked out of place or disconnected from the motherboard
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i have done in the past is go into your device manager and find your sound card and uninstall your sound card,then reboot and let windows find it like it is a newly installed hardware and that normal dose it for me..other than that u can do to widows update center and let them run a scan and it should find the right drivers for your card and it would make sure it is compatable with your windows XP.....

just something that worked for me that u could try
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you everyone. I will try these out and see what happens.

When i updated this machine to Windows XP prior to doing this i upgraded the RAM from 256Mb RAM to 735mb RAM, however i cannot imagine how i would have maybe nudged the Sound Card out of place as i couldnt see how i could get to it.

Regards ATNOs post, I believe i know what that is like and i have already got a piece of software on this machine that does exactly that and shows if there is any problems with any software on the machine and hardware etc etc called Belarc Advisor. I have looked at that and it says "none detected" under the "Multimedia" section.

I will have a look at some of the previous comments and see if this works, Thanks again!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looked at Device Manager and dosnt really say any Device drives, however it does show this...

Again, image is too wide so heres is a link... http://img218.echo.cx/img218/5043/devicemanager5ei.png

Sorry about this, i am pretty stupid when it comes to the hardware of computers and the reinstallation of drives etc etc. Whilst i know it can be easy and dont have problems installing them when they have been put in, its finding things that were there before and reinstalling them that gets me.

:oops:

Thanks!
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know some about driver,but not everything...but your sound card dose not have its drivers install from the looks of your pic..i sent u a pic of my 'sound' drivers to show u...in that case,is your sound card a PCI?if it is,shut down,take it out and reboot your computer 2 or 3 times with no sound card in it,then shut it off again and install it again then boot...windows XP should be able to get it up and running with its driver lists......did u try and do the windows update scan yet?when and if u do make sure the card is installed...if your sound card in built into the motherboard then u should look at the board itself and find the make and write an numbers down u see like GA-K8VNXP is one of my boards number...then u can do a search on google,type in the make (Gigabyte) and model (GA-K8VNXP) then run the search and see if u can find your makers drivers OR if u are sure u know the make of your board u can just go to there web site,if u don't know the URL type the company name in google and search,one of the first ones well be the main site URL...and u can try the same with your sound card if it is indeed a PCI card..find the numbers on it and make(if u can) and go to there site if u know the company name or just do a search for the model number...

Go here: http://www.driverzone.com/sound.html
it is where i go if i am in need of drivers and i do not have the install CD or something like your case,

Try,and let me know......
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks XDUDE, i will try that and let you know how it goes. Probably wont be until later on today though.

Thanks again!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found out from the people that sold the machine to us several years ago what it was called. Aparently they dont know what the drivers are.

I need to reinstall all the drivers as aparently When i installed XP Pro it didnt recognise the sound card, Graphics card, and the USB controller. I have had a search on Google and other search engines and been unable to find device drivers for this machine so i cannot install it (or upgrade it). I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out?

The computer is a Mitac 8640 DH.

Thanks in advance!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could anybody help me out?

I phoned the Manufacturer of the computer and they told me to speak to my dealer. They are not telling me anything other than the type of computer it is which is pretty frustrating. I am really dissapointed with both of these companies.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I answered this yesterday, but I guess not. I'm assuming this is your notebook:
http://www.mancoc.it/sony_vaio/schede_o ... c_8640.htm

Mitac's website has no drivers available for that site. However research the chipset: SIS 645DX + SIS 962 There's a good possibility that your motherboard is an Asus board, but I can't tell which one. If you can find a download page for the mobo, you may be able to get the audio driver download their as well. I've been looking but haven't had enough time to be successful yet.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB have you try Windows Update?
When I upgrated my computer from Windows 98 to XP Pro the same hing happend to me, the sound card was nwhere to be found, When I went to Windows Update, they had the Sound card drives in there under the Hardware Updates, and as soon as I downloaded it started working again.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/d ... rid=139345
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB -- I have a pretty good feeling this may be the driver you need:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis7018.html
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shadow Knight wrote:
SB have you try Windows Update?
When I upgrated my computer from Windows 98 to XP Pro the same hing happend to me, the sound card was nwhere to be found, When I went to Windows Update, they had the Sound card drives in there under the Hardware Updates, and as soon as I downloaded it started working again.

I havnt tried Windows Update as i dont know the names of the drives i am looking to download. If i could just find out what they were i could complete this in 5 minutes. Its just frustrating that when i call the people that sold the computer to me they wont even tell me what is inside the machine! Cannot see any sense in that at all.

I am really greatful to everyone that has responded. I am currently downloading the file you linked me to Lucassix and i will let you know if this works.

Oh, and that is exactly what this machine is ATNO :wink:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
SB -- I have a pretty good feeling this may be the driver you need:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis7018.html

I'm downloading it right now. Thanks again ATNO, Lucassix, and Shadow Knight! As well as everyone else that has helped me from the beginning! Your help is very much appreciated!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a sidenote SB, with Windows update, you don't need to know the name of the soundcard. Update will usually detect the hardware and make the download for the driver available if they have it. So if the one I gave you doesn't work, try the Windows Update Shadow Knight suggested.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops:

Oh really? I didnt know that. I am sorry if my post seemed disrespectful in anyway Shadow Knight, i didnt mean to snub your suggestion. I honestly didnt know Windows Update detected the drive. Thanks again!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much everyone. ATNO's linked worked now and i can successfully hear sound!
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Oh really? I didnt know that. I am sorry if my post seemed disrespectful in anyway Shadow Knight

lol no worries, it happens...I guess we all learn something new everyday... no you know that windows update may have what you are seeking.....so enjoy jejej :D [/quote]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts