No Sound!!!

• astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever since Ive had this computer which is a compaq I could never get sound out of the rear sound port for some reason. So I always used the front one and it worked fine. Well my front one is broke so Im forced to use the back one but I cannot get it to work. If i plug my speakers in the micrphone slot there is some kinda of sound distortion but no sound, and I get no noise at all with the line out the green hole. Ive checked my device manager and there are no errors, Ive tried re installing realtek audio97 still nothing. I did notice under system speaker is says no driver installed..im not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I ve checked all of my volumes everything, still no sound. could someone please help me!! :shock:
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to reinstall your sound drivers.

If it's onboard sound (connected to your motherboard) you will need to download the drivers for your motherboard. If you have a soundcard that is placed in your motherboard, then you will need to download the drivers for that.

Is this a laptop or a desktop machine?

Either way if you usually go to your manufacturers website, they will have some sort of link to download drivers.

I would check out Compaq's website.
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I went there and downloaded audio drivers. As far as I know it updated not sure on how to check. I also downloaded something for the motherboard, not sure if that worked either. As far ast he sound card goes, I have no idea if its connected to the motherboard or inside of it. However the computer was manufactored is how it is. This is a desktop by the way. Still no sound.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.) you can't plug speakers into a microphone port unless the sound card supports that port for surround sound. However, that is no longer used.

2.) how exactly did you "break" the front sound port? Did it physically break or did it just stop functioning one day?

3.) did you upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 by any chance? If so, check this out (microsoft.com).

EDIT: HP has the actual file here (HP.com).
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

No the front panel didnt stop working. Part of the cord metal piece that plugs in there broke off inside of it..Thats why I took the whole thing off. I plan on taking that to a repair shop to get that part replaced. I do have service pack 2. Okay I will try your link and see if that helps.
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I did that, rebooted and checked add/remove programs to make sure the update was there. It is still no sound. Is there a way to configure it so the computer knows to use that port instead of the front one or something??
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you plugged into a line-out/headphone port on the back? What color is it?

What is the exact model of your PC?
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I plugged into line out. The wire has a green end on it. It is the same type of wire I was using with the front port. My computer
is a compaq presirio SR1810NX. Also I noticed under device manager, I have listed under unknown devices primary and secondary ide controllers , standard dual channel pci ide controller. Does that have something to do with it too>?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant the color of the port. It looks like you have major driver issues. Did you upgrade to or reinstall XP recently?
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

The port is green. There is 4 of them back there, microphone, line in, line out and digital output. No I have not upgraded at all. I did try a bios upgrade and realtek update from HP and that was it. But those unknown devices were already there..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uninstall the drivers and delete actual sound hardware from the system and do a full reinstall. Also, look online and get those missing drivers.

In an extreme case, a reload may be in order. But lets try to avoid that.
  • astardust78
  • astardust78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I uninstalled all of the unknown devices. Also the Realtek Audio. It wont let me uninstall the audio codecs , legacy audio drivers, or the media control devices. Those are the only things I see regardding audio. Im starting to get really frustrated and beginning to think it would be easir just to start completly fresh and wipe everything out, but I dont know how.Also, i have my front port back and plugged everything in still no sound from back or front, but from the front it does make sound static when I first plug it in and anything I go to that has sound like youtube or realplayer it plays for a minute then stops. Everything else works fine.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is really confusing me is that its actually playing but then stops.

Seems almost like a bad audio chipset. But, your computer is too old and most likely not under warranty. You can try to call MSI and see if they can send you an MSI-7184 OEM board for HP/Compaq.

Quote:
Processor
AMD Sempron Socket 939

Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Motherboard
Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: MS-7184
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmethystM-GL6E

Another quick question: Did you buy this in Canada?
  • Stella1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stella1

Post 3+ Months Ago

astardust78 wrote:
Ever since Ive had this computer which is a compaq I could never get sound out of the rear sound port for some reason. So I always used the front one and it worked fine. Well my front one is broke so Im forced to use the back one but I cannot get it to work. If i plug my speakers in the micrphone slot there is some kinda of sound distortion but no sound, and I get no noise at all with the line out the green hole. Ive checked my device manager and there are no errors, Ive tried re installing realtek audio97 still nothing. I did notice under system speaker is says no driver installed..im not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I ve checked all of my volumes everything, still no sound. could someone please help me!! :shock:

You need to check your sound card.and check that it works properly or not ?
after that if it is not working properly you reinstall your drivers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Embroidery
Website Design
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

If all else flails(yep) consider a USB output device which installs drivers to output sound THROUGH the USB device.
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sound.html

This one touts "plug and play" but I suspect it would have inclusive drivers...
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_d ... =136%2C121

I might have found a different result than what I have used and know to work, but the idea was (on the one I used) plug in the USB device, install its drivers then plug in speakers/headphones into the USB device to hear sound.
  • Sara1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sara1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stella1 wrote:
astardust78 wrote:

You need to check your sound card.and check that it works properly or not ?
after that if it is not working properly you reinstall your drivers

Hello Stella,
Please tell me how i reinstall my sound drivers. Please reply me i'm waiting.

Thanks In Advance
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing that comes to mind is this: if you use a sound card (as opposed to onboard sound) then you will need to disable onboard sound in BIOS
if you use onboard sound, and not a sound card, you will need to enable it in BIOS

The thing about it playing for a minute then stopping, I suspect either the terminal you plug into or the lead of the speaker/headphones is cracked/chipped.
I have an extension that has a crack in it and when it is not positioned correctly it will not conduct sound.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts