Sound won't go loud enough

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently built a new pc and purchased a creative sound blaster sound card. I have an HP m70 moniter with the 2 side polk audio speakers. The speakers will go very loud on my other computer but I can barely get it loud at all with my new computer. The only way for me to increase the volume is to attach my surround sound theater speakers and then use its voume control to boost the volume. I have checked all the plugs and can't figure out what to do. Any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check that you've got it plugged into the headphones out and not the line out.

As far as I'm aware, line out isn't amplified (so that it can go to a set of external speakers with a built-in amplifier, or an actual dedicated amp as part of your stereo or home entertainment system). Speaker output is amplified before the signal is sent out, thus giving you much louder output.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm..there are 5 plugs in my card 2 are for audio out 1 is for mic 1 is for audio in and one is digital out. I tried both audio out plugs and only the second audio out seems to work. I get no music at all from the 1st audio out..any clue why?

thanks!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, chances are, your sound card is 4.1 surround (one of those output is for the fronts + sub, the other being rear speakers)....

There should be software with your card to enable the rear speakers (it enables & disables stuff depending on whether you've got a 2 or 4 speaker setup)...

A lot of recent sound cards appear to only have line out (or various line outs for different speaker configurations), and no headphone out these days...

You might have to look into getting some powered speakers, or maybe see if you've got AUX inputs on the back of your stereo, then just plug your headphones in there.

I just got a new Onkyo 5.1 surround sound receiver/amp yesterday for a similar problem with my new PC. It's got on-board 5.1 surround, but I don't want to have to hook up two sets of powered speakers, 2 subs, etc. So I'm just having the out going straight to the Onkyo amp, get regular good quality speakers, and do it that way. Then pump the VCR, DVD, etc. all through it too.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah thats correct it wont work with any new card becuase of lack of amplification. It has happened to me with at least 3 computers ive built. People i built it for had HPs and there polks didnt work either
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

aint that a bitch lol...how much do these amps cost?

btw thanks for all the help!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you can buy powered speakers as low as 10 bucks, it all depends on what kind of volume & quality you want :)

If you want a half-decent pair with a sub, you're probably looking at around $50-75

As your sound card apparently supports surround sound, a 5.1 surround system would probably set you back around $150-200.

Or, you can go really elaborate :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts