Soundcard

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had my PC for a year and a half now, it has been a good machine since the day i purchased it however this last few days i have noticed the sound crackle more often and as a result the machine slows down a tiny bit. It is temperamental at the moment, however the same happened to my laptop and as a result listening to any music on either machine is becoming a bit frustrating at now.

I was using a piece of software which streams music and last night i got the message popping up stating that i was unable to listen to a certain song due to my sound card having issues.

This may seem a silly question, but with the issues i am having, does this sound like a common problem with some sound cards or could there be some other issue on my machine causing this to happen.

When it happened to my laptop i was convinced it was to do with the sound card or graphics card. I couldn't replace any bits for the laptop which at the time was about the same age as this computer and as a result i ended up buying the PC. I just need to know whether it is in my interest to invest in a new sound card or if there is another possible problem i should explore more.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it happen in safe mode?

Download, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org just to make sure the machine is clean.

I run my sound card through my home stereo. Try that if you can. The cable costs about $10.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will check that out and let you know.

Thanks don2007.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never actually checked it out in safe mode and instead just went ahead and installed and ran the software you suggested.

There were 44 infected files, all of which have been removed and after rebooting the computer i have yet to experience the issues i was having. Thank you Don.

As a matter of interest, what made you think it had something to do with malware?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It always pays to check for malware first. When I was a mechanic, I learned to try the easiest & cheapest fix first. If a light doesn't work, change the bulb before the switch. That's the methodology that I use.
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

If re-installing the audio drivers and the drivers fro your sound card does not fix the issue, then g on purchasing a new sound card.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The issue i was having has more or less gone from my PC however it does happen occaisionally if the machien has been on for a while. Once it has been rebooted everything is back to normal.

However on my laptop it continues, despite following the advice from Don2007. It's a bit irritating as at the moment the only machine i can really use is my laptop, so watching things or listening to stuff often ends after a few moments because of this issue.

I am tempted to completely reinstall Windows and start from a scratch just to see how it does after that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts