spilled beer on laptop what to do?

• soaked
  • Born
  • Born
  • soaked

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm using the accessiility keyboard 2 type because i've half killed my 4 month old. its a sony vaio, half the keys on the left hand side ain't working, its had 24 hrs 2 dry, sometimes caps lock comes back to life and ctrl and shift sometimes highlight at random. what can i do? what liquid could i use to clean it? and how do i get access 2 the back of the keys? any suggestions thanks lot
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

hair dryer on low - not too close tho - worked for me :iconthumbright:
  • The Apostle of God
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: SDSU, SD, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I have a piece of advice: Don't compute when you're drunk ;)

More seriously, if you have a damage plan with it I would take advantage of it. Best Buy's covers moisture, but this is more than moisture :(
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i spilled iced tea on my laptop before, and it never did start working
normal again. I ordered a new keyboard for $30, installed it myself and
voila! worked fine. so, who knows....
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

IF YOU HURRY YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DRINK THE BEER! By the way that is 'alcohol abuse'! :D
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Water and electronics are a funny mix. Although not a laptop, my mobile phone stopped working for a while after it completely immersed itself in water. I waited the 24hours or so before turning it on, but it wouldn't work properly. But...then a week or so later I tried again and everything was fine. Maybe give your laptop an extra couple of days to make sure all the water has evaporated, then try again.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

dr nick wrote:
my mobile phone stopped working for a while after it completely immersed itself in water.

LMAO! That is too damn funny! :lol: :lol:
"IT" did it!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

dr nick wrote:
Water and electronics are a funny mix. Although not a laptop, my mobile phone stopped working for a while after it completely immersed itself in water. I waited the 24hours or so before turning it on, but it wouldn't work properly. But...then a week or so later I tried again and everything was fine. Maybe give your laptop an extra couple of days to make sure all the water has evaporated, then try again.

I went swimming with my cell phone once. However it didn't like the pool
as much as I did, because it literally fried. I had burn marks on the outside
of the case because of it's power and chlorine mix. Kinda funny...

Although it cost me $300 at the time to replace since the warranty didn't
cover water damage. :?:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should have sued and said that they didn't specify that you couldn't swim with it on! :-P
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahahahahaaa only in america!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

*nogs*
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol,

actually some bits and pieces can be suprisingly water resistant, my HDD was immersed in water once.... (long story :roll: ).. for over 5 minutes and given a good long time to dry out before attempting to use again was fine and worked as well as ever, :shock: lol

the most importent if you spill drink over somthing is turn the power off as soon as poss and leave it that way for a looong time, dont be tempted to try it out 'too' soon, cos a circuit board etc. thats wet, itself isnt damaged, its when you let electricity flow and it short circuits that ur in trouble, obviously if you spill somthing over somthing thats turned on at the time then its likely to break anyway but even so turn it off immidiately and make sure its well and truly dry before you try it again.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is another topic related to this one at ozzu if any of you are curious:

hardware/spilled-water-laptop-and-will-not-work-can-fix-t1353.html
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cuerock wrote:
IF YOU HURRY YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DRINK THE BEER! By the way that is 'alcohol abuse'! :D

Actually it's a party fowl :twisted: beer has more than just water in it, after it dries it wil become sticky :D
  • mysticdog
  • Born
  • Born
  • mysticdog

Post 3+ Months Ago

A friend spilled beer on my Compaq laptop. Immediately unplugged it from the AC outlet, took out the battery, turned it upside down over a towel then used a blower to dry out the surface moisture. I didn't open it because I don't know how and I wasn't sure if it is a wise thing to do so. After about an hour or so, i replaced the battery, plugged it (not very wise as I learned from the posts here) then turned it on. It worked as if nothing happened and continues to work until now (the accident happened over a month ago). My question is: Is it ok to assume that everything is ok? I'm thinking that little or no moisture has gone inside the laptop. Or is it advisable to dissamble the laptop even if nothing is wrong? Is it possible that I'll encounter problems in the future? Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Grouptivity
  • Grouptivity

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did it fizz up? Turn OFF the computer, take a sponge and get in there. Chances are, your computer will never be the same.

Don't Drink and Type, kids.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a similar water & electronic thing before ... dropped my cellphone in a fish tank .... It was an old nokia ... I immediately took it apart, dried it with a hair dryer and let it sit for the weekend. Then it still didn't work right. One week later it was like it never happened ... the electric god saved it! But the dot on the back near the battery was pink so it meant it had seen water :)

Give it a lil time, it might come back ?
  • adampearson
  • Born
  • Born
  • adampearson

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I had my Macbook pro in my incase carrying case last night and a beer exploded in my backpack. About 2-5 minutes after this happened, I took out my laptop, which was on, and had beer on the speakers, the screen, and by the hinges and everything. In a frenzy I started to wipe as much beer off as possible while the computer was on. Then the brightness stopped working (it could have just been the key) but the computer was functioning. I shut down, removed the battery and dried the battery and laptop upside with fans for 5 hours. I then had to bike with my stuff back to my apartment so I probably made the mistake of putting the battery back into the computer, (though both were pretty dry) and put it into the case, which was still a little wet, for about 5-10 minutes. When I got home I set it up again the same way, drying the laptop upside down and the battery as well. It was probably like this for 6 hours. I then needed to catch a flight so I wrapped up the laptop in several dry plastic baggies this time before putting it into the damp incase again. I set it back up in the upside down position 6 hours later. So now it has been about a day since the beer seaped into the laptop and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions. Both the laptop and the battery seem pretty dry. The laptop's hinges seem a bit sticky. I was going to at least wait until tomorrow morning before trying to turn it on, but I've read some stuff tonight that says wait a week..? It wasn't that much beer..actually, let's assume it was for worst case scenario. Should I use a screwdriver and start taking apart the laptop to check to see how wet and sticky the insides really are? Should I go to the mac store? I have the insurance thing, but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be covered...I could just say that it stopped working and it was by a lot of moisture in my backpack. Anyway, any advice would be great from people who have had experience with this. It really sucks. It wasn't even my fault per se; a beer exploded while I was biking...
  • gratescot
  • gratescot

Post 3+ Months Ago

beer has salt in it which makes things even worse.
if you're still having issues with it, look on youtube or similar site for a video that shows how to disassemble your model of LT

Ideally look at the video on another computer (friends comp?)while your working on your LT

look for white stains left from the beer. clean it with Q-tips and denatured alcohol (LOL) or go to a local electronics/computer store and buy a can of PCB (printed circuit board)cleaner. make sure its plastic safe and don't let it soak on the keypad lettering (most lettering is just decals/stickers that might come off)

anytime you get something electronic wet (laptop/cell phone/even your car/truck) it's best to kill the power FAST. pull out the battery, unplug the power cord ect.

pull it apart LET IT DRY OUT!!! put it by a heat vent in your house and forget about it for a few DAYS (not a few hours). BE PATIENT

electronics even in a car can run underwater for a few minutes before shorting out (mythbusters!) but keep the power running and it WILL short.
  • gratescot
  • gratescot

Post 3+ Months Ago

next time use a sippy cup!

next time you find yourself having beer or other liquid disasters in a backpack find a piece of plastic to put either the beer or your lappity toppity box into.
  • Noodlezoup
  • Born
  • Born
  • Noodlezoup

Post 3+ Months Ago

yesterday i was drinking and spilled to my computer as i was halfalsleep. The thing is, that i was so tierd that i just thought it was so little that it even matter and i closed it and slept like a child. The day after when i was putting it on and lift it up it was pouring bear from the keaboard and the right side of the computer. I was like WTF did just happend yerterday and i started to chaking it so all the beer was out. It wasent enough, and the keyboard was sticky and all the letter to the right was not working. I took my screwdriver, open the keyboard screws up and forced the keyboard off and it was still very mutch beer inside( i did this all when the computer was on)

Now its working. the dvd reader was soaked in beer but dident take any damage and the keyboard did i clean with water and dish fluid.
  • dabbler603
  • dabbler603

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a friend that dumped some sticky drink in there laptop, the problem was after everything dried the keys still would stick. I pulled out the keyboard and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. I actually submersed the keyboard in the alcohol and then took compressed air and blew the keyboard out and replaced it. The keyboard worked like brand new again. The stupid friend triied to do it again later though and did not dry the keyboard completely after they plugged in back in the keyboard shorted out and they had to buy a new one. Moral is with hardware most of the time they can get wet as long as you clean it thoroughly so no residue is left and dry so no moisure is left before runnning power it will work fine. Sugars will alter electricity flow just as much if not more that just water and everything including beverage alcohol (I believe ethynol) will have sugars or glucose in them.
  • dabbler603
  • dabbler603

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS. as I understand rubbing alcohol is actually used in the production of circuitry and computer parts to clean the parts between processes of the production.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts