Spilled liquid on Asus Eee PC can I save it?

• whutupp
  • Born
  • Born
  • whutupp

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few months back I spilled a sugarless clear soda on my laptop. I turned it off as fast as I could and all and turned it over to let it drain for a few nights. When I tried it again the fan was blowing hard and it booted but the desktop was frozen. It was really cheap and not much use so I figured I'd just let it go without protest.

I tried it again a few minutes ago and it loads up and I can move the cursor and click on things for a few seconds but then it freezes again. Is the idea that I might be able to fix it just false hope? I'm afraid to open it up and start cleaning because I don't know anything about these things.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you should have done was open it & bury it in rice but the damage is done now. Maybe you can find a local shop to try to fix it. Some of them will give you a free diagnostic & a price before they do the work.

My brother just fried a laptop. A local guy looked at it for nothing. There was nothing he could do. When I went to get it, I left a $10 tip.
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 is correct, rice sometimes does work. The problem can be that the power can fry circuits and tracings, especially when something is connecting something it shouldn't. The best thing to do, at least in my experience, is to immediately remove the battery. DO NOT turn it on, at all. Take it apart and wash it in rubbing alcohol--gently. Blow it dry with a soft jet of air so as to to ruin tracers and connections and put it all together -- dry. THEN turn it on!
  • Longclark
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Longclark

Post 14 days ago

I think your fan needs cooler so, i suggest you to have an external cooling fan to keep your laptop safe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts