Storage solution for multiple hard drives

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I have a bunch of hard drives laying around that contain my various incremental backups. They're all internal drives that I just plug into a dock and run backups to, but I have about 5 of them, and right now they're just sitting in a stack on my bookcase. Does anyone have a good idea for a solution to organizing these? Something like a cage that can sit on the bookshelf, or a briefcase type thing with slots in it for the drives?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I would buy an external drive or NAS device to store all the data & use USB drives, in conjunction with the external drive, for the backups. That way you have a double backup & you can leave the internal drives in a closet, in case they are needed in the future.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking around for large briefcases, packaging foam, and anti-static bags when I came across this.

I can't speak for that company because I know as much about them as you do right now, but hopefully the custom packaging service they provide can give you some ideas.

I bet you could fit 6-12 harddrives laying flat in cradles of foam in a common sized briefcase. Many more if you can find a case that has room to stand them up on their sides and have foam on the top and bottom.

I saw some "anti-static" foam around which at first seemed like a good idea. However since the price of it seems to run about 3x that of normal packaging foam, and it still breaks down over time anyways meaning you could get foam dust in the drives, I would just go with regular medium density (charcoal?) packaging foam and buy a big pack of anti-static bags for about $6-10 online.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don:
The actual backup solution consists of a RAID5 running on the file server, which backs up daily to the external dock (which is really just an 'internal' drive in a hot-swap dock); then weekly that drive is taken off and rotated with a new drive, and monthly that drive is rotated as well. I'm simply using the bare drives with the dock because external drive cost $30 - $alot more, and are simply a waste of money.

Joe:
That's a good find, though I was looking for a more COTS solution. The only thing similar to your find that I've found is around $200, which I think is a bit ridiculous for a case and some foam. And the only drive cages I can find have the power/data backplanes on them, which is a waste for my purposes.

Thanks though... guess I'll keep looking...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You didn't mention RAID in your first post. You just said 3 drives.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what's about the same size as an HDD and pretty much obsolete (obsolete meaning you could probably find stuff related to them cheap) ? VHS tapes. VHS/media towers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Heck, the old sticky-backed paper labels for blank VHS tapes might work perfectly for labeling the HDDs, come to think of it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts