Strange occurence

• Devilofosaka
  • Born
  • Born
  • Devilofosaka

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, I've been running windows 2K on this box for the past two years or so. Recently, it kept restarting over and over again and hammering me with a blue screen error that was too quick to catch about the registry. So I figured eh what the heck, rather than go into the reg and hammer the problem out, that it was time for a routine box whipe anyway. I uninstalled windows and tried to put 2K back on there and it kept nailing me with an IRQL not equal or less than error. So naturally I do some card swapping ect and it still hits me with it. So I tried a different OS windows XP and it still hit me with it. Then I placed Lindows on there and it works fine. I remove lindows and try to put a microsoft product back on there and it still nails me with it every single time.

Any idea on what it could be? I havent added anything new to this box in quite sometime and before it started nailing me with those errors I hadnt installed anything. I also noticed that my proc had been hitting as high as 54 degrees C without an overclock. Which is insanely high considering when I did have it sitting on a slight OC it peaked 45 degrees C max and before the OC was only at 34 degrees C. Im just curious as to if maybe I have damaged the proc. But if the proc were damaged then it shouldnt work flawlessly with Lindows should it? Im at a complete loss. I've swapped cards, harddrives, memory sticks, and everything else I can think of and have still achieved next to nothing. Being on Lindows is pure torture because Im a Linux nub. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

try running memtest x86 sounds to me like your ram has given out.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Devilofosaka wrote:
I've swapped cards, harddrives, memory sticks, and everything else I can think of and have still achieved next to nothing.

Motherboard, probably not proc. I havn't seen a bad proc that worked well enough to even post. Let alone allow Lindows or Linspire to even install.

I used to get that a lot when my Asus A7N8X Deluxe was fried from a cheap PSU.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Devilofosaka wrote:
But if the proc were damaged then it shouldnt work flawlessly with Lindows should it?

If you dont mind me askind "Lindows" is a cross between windows XP, and Linux right?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lindows or Linspire as it's called now is nothing but a joke. A farse of a linux ripoff from the script kiddieized RedHat to become even more Script Kiddie.

Its the tabasco sauce in the preperation H to the Open Source 31337. Just like Redhat, they sold out and became as vile as the monster they were created to combat. Reminds me of a Megadeth song. 0X
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL GT you always have such words of confidence for folks.....hehehe....gotta be a jersey/new york thing.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Family is from Staten Italy err I mean Island. Born and Raised in North Jersey, migrated to the Jersey Shore about 10 years ago.

You should see me when I'm driving a car. I can be on the express lanes and a kid in a car in the local lanes would be covering his ears from the string of explicatives that run from my mouth.

I can make a grown new yorker in his lexus SUV cry.
  • Devilofosaka
  • Born
  • Born
  • Devilofosaka

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll run mem test and if that fails to produce results swap the board. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you all posted as to what the outcome is.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

A while ago in one of my thousands of IT and computer magazines that flood my desk at work I saw a guide on the ultimate computer repair toolbox. It had this motherboard testing utility that was said to ba bale to boot any fried mobo. The only problem was it was $500. Anyone see that? Does something like that still exist?
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

IRQ less than 0 is definately a hardware failure happening. Try testing memory first, then hard drive then its pretty much going to be a motherboard issue in my experience.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts