Suggestions for NAS?

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to get a small NAS up and running for my home network. I was wondering what you guys recommend for the server. Here's the basics of my intentions:

1. Budget of $100 (not including HDDs, just the server)
  2. Works well with wi-fi network router
  3. Multiple HDDs (starting with two 1TB HDDs, but will likely expand in the future)
  4. Used for storing and accessing music and movies
  5. 4 - 5 computers are connected wirelessly to my home network
  6. Decent bandwidth/read/write speeds
  7. Works on XP, Vista, and Windows 7

A few nice options to have, but not required are as follows:
  1. Non linear server to host connections (more than 1:1 simultaneous connections)
  2. Admin ability to restrict read/write permissions to computers (admin can read/write, others can only read)
  3. raid availability (won't have raid at first, but may want to set it up later)
  4. small (preferably the size of my cable modem or router, don't have room for an entire tower)

What experiences have you guys had? What NAS server do you recommend?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kind of funny you ask this. I'm currently wearing a T-shirt that on the back says "Cover your NAS", and on the front it says www.barracuda.com

http://www.govgroup.com/barracuda-netwo ... 62-ctg.htm

We use the 190 for small clients and the 690 for large. Unfortunately neither falls in your budget
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure of any NAS options that are in your price range that are able to do those features. In fact the only option that I know of that is a good option thats under $100 only supports 1 HDD.

This is the closest to your price I could find with at least some of your options:LINK

You are going to be looking at around $300 for an entry level option that is going to cover the majority of your requirements.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought this one looked pretty close to what I was looking for...is it not what I'm thinking it is?
Cirago NUS1000
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I totally misinterpreted what you were asking for. That looks pretty close. Doesn't appear to be wireless though. Looks basically like a "switch" (so-to-speak) for USB hard drives, and looks as though it hooks up directly into a router with a cat5 connection. Newegg didn't give a whole lot of info in their specs, unless that's literally all it has. Not a bad solution for $44 though. I might use that on my own network for creating images of my computers onto terabyte USB hard drives. It appears to be able to double as a printer server as well which is kind of nice.
  • IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a FAS270 and Buffalo Live terastation

10,000+ RPM :)
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too much available for $100. One option is to build your own. Use an old P4 and NAS4Free software (yes it is for free) and buy a drive to put into it. Configure it the way you want. Documentation is on the site: Google nas4free dot org.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about a Raspberry Pi and a usb external hard drive

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts