Superclocked Videocard -SLI Question

• sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I have a few questions to ask. Im planning to buy a new computer soon and I was looking through the videocards, I came across some cards that are preconfiged SUPERCLOCKED. For example, the
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT CO Superclocked 580MHZ PCI-E 256MB 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out Video Card

I was wondering if these already superclocked cards could run in SLI Mode.
Or will I need to buy the one that is not superclocked to run SLI. Meaning the evga 7600 gt

If I can run the superclocked videocard in SLI, will it run at like a superclocked rate? or will it downgrade itself and run SLI in a slower rate? and is it possible to run one card in superclocked, and a normal one?
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would always buy two of the same card in an SLI configuration. I dont think you have to but I would just incase.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, the cards have to run at the same clock speed. they essentially have to be identical. however, if you only want to run one card, you can make your motherboard run only one card.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

nVidia have recently uodated they're driver support with regards to SLi.

You are no longer required to buy two of the same cards at the same time. You can now mix and match the manufacturers but, you still have to have the same chipset. They don't even have to be the same BIOS revision.

For example, you could have:

1x XFX 7900GTX
1x Asustek 7900GTX

They would work fine together.

If you were to run two of he superclocked cards in SLi, they would both function at the superclocked speeds, but obviously unless you have the Asus A8N32-Sli, the PCI-E bus will only run at 8x per PCI-E slot rather than its full 16x.

If you have one superclocked card and another stock clocked, the would still run, but the superclocked card would have to slow itself slightly to accomodate the slower cards data processing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts