Supervisor password.

• cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

One of my colleagues was recently fired and the laptop that the company issued to him was a Toshiba 3110 CT Protege. My colleague set a supervisor password and now i cannot change the boot priority because my boss specifically wants it to boot from cdrom first.

Does anyone know how I can bypass the password.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you remove the CMOS battery it should reset the BIOS and any passwords protecting it so you can fiddle with it.

Need to removoe it for about 5-10 mins though, or so I believe.

Regards,
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think i saw something like that in bios for mine i have to press the delete button and it should let u change it i think
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou

Post 3+ Months Ago

does not seem to work.
i cannot remove the cmos battery because it is soldered to the mobo.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

did u try my idea ?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

This site suggests that 'Toshiba' might be a backdoor password for the bios.

Also,
Quote:
Most Toshiba laptops and some desktop systems will bypass the BIOS password if the left shift key is held down during boot.

Failing that:
http://www.tech-faq.com/computers/reset ... word.shtml

Look near the bottom of the page under Resetting a Toshiba BIOS Password.
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou

Post 3+ Months Ago

skirge i have tried your idea but after i did that i am unable to boot my windows anymore i get a blue screen with the error: The ACPI BIOS in this system in not fully compliant with the ACPI specifications.
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou

Post 3+ Months Ago

After reading the website that JrzyCrim reccomended, i boot up the notebook and and pressed the left_shift key.
Windows could startup normally after that no more blue screen.
But the password still exists. I tried every method that JrzyCrim recomended but still no difference password is still there.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this site for you :

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

Or if that fails you try :

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=reset+BIOS+passwords&meta=

Alot of the sites I found said the best and sometimes only option is to contact Toshiba and get them to reset it for you.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

(Note: I was hesitant to post this information, but you can find it all over the internet if you know what to search for)

You can use the following to invalidate the information stored in the BIOS and make it revert to defaults:

- Start the command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD)

- Start Debug by typing DEBUG and pressing enter.

- At the prompt (a hyphen -), enter the following commands.
(The first output command is Seven-Zero, not Seven-Letter O)

o 70 2e (Enter)
o 71 ff (Enter)
q (Enter)

Restart the computer and during the POST, it should say something like "BIOS Checksum Fail - Resetting to Default Values"

If all goes well, the password should be gone. Keep in mind this will clear out all the BIOS information, so you may have to reset some minor things like boot order, power management, etc.
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

sorry for the late update but i have been really bust lately.
I have tried all of the ideas mentioned in this post and even used lucassix's solution but it did not help.
I found that the mobo battery was connected to a wire so i pulled out the wire and i left it for 10 minutes and when i boot the machine again, i lost the system date and the system time but not the password.
What the heck is going on?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, that is one helluva BIOS password! I would just get a new mobo if it wasn't that nice of a laptop. I hear people with this kinda problem all the time and they never solve it.

Best of luck though! And be sure to let us know the outcome!
  • lumberjack_jeff
  • Born
  • Born
  • lumberjack_jeff

Post 3+ Months Ago

... but this thread is the top google result for "toshiba supervisor password"

I had the same problem on my new Satellite 1415-s115. I bought a parallel dongle on ebay, it worked like a charm and it was only $10 with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSHIBA-Laptop-Part ... dZViewItem
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

lumberjack_jeff wrote:
... but this thread is the top google result for "toshiba supervisor password"

I had the same problem on my new Satellite 1415-s115. I bought a parallel dongle on ebay, it worked like a charm and it was only $10 with shipping.

***link to long***

i cant help but think that lumberjack_jeff is the seller of that item..

have to looked up the mobo lay out you see if there are bios reset jumpers?
if it does have the jumpers unhook the battery set the jumpers to the reset mode start the computer for a few secs the turn off the computer again.. hook back up the battery and start the computer...

if that dont work then unhook the battery again and leave it over night..
remember you take out the computers battery(the big one) when your doing this and only run off the plug...
i think thats the problem you have been having...

or try the password "Toshiba"

WARNING: Some BIOS configurations will lock you out of the system completely if you type in an incorrect password more than 3 times. Read your manufacturers documentation for the BIOS setting before you begin typing in passwords.

want more?(bty Dipswitch is a funny word)

Using the Motherboard "Clear CMOS" Jumper or Dipswitch settings

Many motherboards feature a set of jumpers or dipswitches that will clear the CMOS and wipe all of the custom settings including BIOS passwords. The locations of these jumpers / dipswitches will vary depending on the motherboard manufacturer and ideally you should always refer to the motherboard or computer manufacturers documentation. If the documentation is unavailable, the jumpers/dipswitches can sometimes be found along the edge of the motherboard, next to the CMOS battery, or near the processor. Some manufacturers may label the jumper / dipswitch CLEAR - CLEAR CMOS - CLR - CLRPWD - PASSWD - PASSWORD - PWD. On laptop computers, the dipswitches are usually found under the keyboard or within a compartment at the bottom of the laptop.

Please remember to unplug your PC and use a grounding strip before reaching into your PC and touching the motherboard. Once you locate and rest the jumper switches, turn the computer on and check if the password has been cleared. If it has, turn the computer off and return the jumpers or dipswitches to its original position.

Removing the CMOS Battery

The CMOS settings on most systems are buffered by a small battery that is attached to the motherboard. (It looks like a small watch battery). If you unplug the PC and remove the battery for 10-15 minutes, the CMOS may reset itself and the password should be blank. (Along with any other machine specific settings, so be sure you are familiar with manually reconfiguring the BIOS settings before you do this.) Some manufacturers backup the power to the CMOS chipset by using a capacitor, so if your first attempt fails, leave the battery out (with the system unplugged) for at least 24 hours. Some batteries are actually soldered onto the motherboard making this task more difficult. Unsoldering the battery incorrectly may damage your motherboard and other components, so please don't attempt this if you are inexperienced. Another option may be to remove the CMOS chip from the motherboard for a period of time.

Note: Removing the battery to reset the CMOS will not work for all PC's, and almost all of the newer laptops store their BIOS passwords in a manner which does not require continuous power, so removing the CMOS battery may not work at all. IBM Thinkpad laptops lock the hard drive as well as the BIOS when the supervisor password is set. If you reset the BIOS password, but cannot reset the hard drive password, you may not be able to access the drive and it will remain locked, even if you place it in a new laptop. IBM Thinkpads have special jumper switches on the motherboard, and these should be used to reset the system.
  • k_monic
  • Born
  • Born
  • k_monic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Lucassix

I have a doubt..

U have send these commands..

o 70 2e (Enter)
o 71 ff (Enter)
q (Enter)

Is it o (Space) 70 (Space) 2e

o (Space) 71 (Space) ff
q ENTER

Is that corect.....

o -- is this "o" not ZERO right.

In 70 ie is ZERO Right..

If i type it is giving some error..

Please reply ASAP..
lucassix wrote:
(Note: I was hesitant to post this information, but you can find it all over the internet if you know what to search for)

You can use the following to invalidate the information stored in the BIOS and make it revert to defaults:

- Start the command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD)

- Start Debug by typing DEBUG and pressing enter.

- At the prompt (a hyphen -), enter the following commands.
(The first output command is Seven-Zero, not Seven-Letter O)

o 70 2e (Enter)
o 71 ff (Enter)
q (Enter)

Restart the computer and during the POST, it should say something like "BIOS Checksum Fail - Resetting to Default Values"

If all goes well, the password should be gone. Keep in mind this will clear out all the BIOS information, so you may have to reset some minor things like boot order, power management, etc.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts