GT's System Build

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recent posts have proven to cultivate my interest in this. I have decided to come to the board for my new project.

Ladies, Gentlemen, Geeks, Haxx0r Chicks, and roots I proudly present to you:

GT’s System Design-off 2006

Objectives:
The objectives are simple. Design me a kick-butt system. Now this isn’t a competitive contest per-se. I have all final design decisions because it’s my money. However, we will go over AMD vs. Intel, ATI vs. nVidia, ASUS vs. DFI/Soyo, etc…

We have sophisticated, educated debates and discussions over every single detail, down to the cables and wires. When I purchase the products, I will even go step by step with pictures (maybe even a web cast if the mods will allow it).

Rules & Regs:
Not many rules here, except keep it clean, no dirty tactics, no profanity. The build also cannot go past budget. We are also working with hardware that is currently available or that will be available within the next month. The budget will be $3,000 - Strict (And I mean with shipping and tax and incidentals, not a cent over). It cannot go over $3,000 – but we can go under. Actually, under is good!

The budget however does not include painting the case – if we decide to do so. I’ll have a specialized paint shop that paints my cars handle that.

#Includes:
Processor
Motherboard
Memory
Cooling System
Video Cards
Internal Cables
Eye-Candy
Sound
Etc…

Omissions:
This does not include keyboard, mouse, monitors, etc… This just encompasses the box.

Now without further ado:

LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLLLLLEEEE!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went looking on a few sites.

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA Aluminum Case
PSU: Thermaltake W0057 PurePower ATX 500W Power Supply
DVD1: Plextor PX-716SA/SW Sata DVDRW
DVD2: Asus Black IDE UDMA5 DVD-ROM
HDD: WD Caviar SE WD1600JS SATA-II
Proc: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (939)
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Memory: Rosewill 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 DDR
Video: 1x ASUS EN6800Ultra PCI-EX16 SLI
Cooling: Thermaltake Aquarius III (soon to be replaced with whatever Thermaltake will release in a few weeks)

All-In-All it comes to about $2,300
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hate to act the dumass, but im asuming this is american dollars???
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish it was lira. :-D

Yep, Dollars.

I'm going for a base starter system. So, I get the kickbutt motherboard, yet go conservative on the processor. I picked the rosewill memory becuase newegg had a deal on it with the motherboard. That can be substituted. I start with 2 1GB dual channel kit chips and then later on I can get a second 2GB kit. Just as later on I could do an X2 proc. And get the second 6800 Ultra card.

Addition is key... That and I know what to ask for Christmas! :-D
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, ive done this quite quickly, its upgradeable, could be dual processor, can have SLI, and will certainly kick ass.

AMD Opteron 248
Tyan Thunder K8WE nVidia nForce4 Pro 2200 - Supports Dual Processors, and SLI
2Gb of PC3200 ram in 2 1Gb Sticks
XFX GeForce 6800 GT PCIe 256MB
Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ03 Black
Western Digital Caviar SATA-II 160GB 7,200 RPM
Sony DW-D26A Beige Dual Layer DVD ± RW / CD-RW
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital
Seasonic S12 600W PSU (Opteron/Xeon/A64/P4)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Order Subtotal
$2,822.00

Most of that went on the Motherboard, Processor and 2Gb of ECC ram, i could probably fit a SLi Vapochill PC into that same budget for gaming. I would like to say that the PC is defo upgradable and will certainly last; if kept up to date with upgrades.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres a better SLi one. The last 100 Dollars should probably go on an OS and shipping.

3200 Venice
DFI Lan Party SLI-DR
2x BFG 6800GT OC's that come pre overclocked.
1Gb of Corsair PC4400
530 Watt Tagan PSU
NEC Dual Layer DVD+/-RW

last and by no means least -

Vapochill XEII - Suitable for massive overclocking.

All for the 'small price' of £1,576.38, which at the current exchange rate is $2873.189. This makes it under budget, BUT this does not include shipping to the US and an OS, if you were to do this on newegg or zipzoomfly then you might be able to save some money and get cheap postage.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That 64bit? How would games function on that?

Don't worry about software, I have that. :-D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
That 64bit? How would games function on that?

Don't worry about software, I have that. :-D

Thats for the opteron. I like the seocnd one though....
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Games would be darn good, you would be looking at 90Fps+ on Doom3 with high detail with 4x AA at 1280*1024. Applications should also run darn fast on a 2.7Ghz+ Athlon 64.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

VapoChill eh? Wicked case, not as good looking as the Thermaltake. But sub-zero is ALWAYS good. :-D

Can't get it in the US yet... Maybe if they made a removable vapochill like the thermaltake Aquarius III. That would seriously OWN... Any case you want, and sub zero cooling so I can massively overclock and still have stability.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm dissapointed in Y'all. I thought the chance to spend someone elses money would intrigue people to rise up. This really sucks that this didn't get nearly the turnout I expected.

Besides since when do you guys and gals get a chance to witness a step-by-step system build. It might actually be fun and ultra-informative for some people to see. You guys can even haggle me if I do something wrong (which I never do anyway).

I'll even get my woman to pose in a bathing suit next to the finished computer. That's probably what I need, sex apeal.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

*Bumps post to top of forum.*

Come on people, im sure someone can make a better pc.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, perhaps if you hadn't posted the first entry to your own contest, others might have been more inclined to participate :P
I got the impression you had pretty much decided when you posted that.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put the first post to show along the lines of what i was looking for.

I wanna see all the options of what I put together for $3k. Something wicked.

I don't need 800GB of storage but 2GB of memory is good. Etc...
Also something upgradeable. So like socket 939, I can throw a lesser 64bit proc in it to save inital money and afford the larger ram, and then later on splurge for the top-of-the-line X2. Stuff like that.

However, I do have limits on cases. I'm thinking that Thermaltake case, I've heard mny good reviews. I also need a water cooler, or a chiller. If they made that vapo-chill without the case, that would rock.

*plum*'s all about it, and I respect his input as I would anyone else. I just wanna see what people can come up with. I know how to build a system, I just wanted to see some other ideas. There might be something I overlook, or someone might say that something I picked wont work with this or that.

No matter how much experience I have, its never too much to learn something. That's what I want to do. Have all the people who want to, join in to create a perfectly complementing system. Memory that works perfect with a motherboard that works perfect with the video card, etc.

Compatable northbridge/southbridge & GPU chipsets creates stability.
Matching memory. What about memory rated higher that PC3200, does that help in overclocking, etc...

I will never say someones idea is stupid, I just want to see what people have to say.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/VapoChill_Systems.html

The Vapochill LS is kind of removable, it looks best with a fitting LanLi PC60 case though, they rock although they are rather expensive.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only problem: Not available in US, and if it is, its going to be $900+ USD.

I'm better off finding a technical whitepaper on one, and building one of my own.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's with all this DDR memory that goes above PC3200? Not a board out there technically supports any memory above PC3200, so why offer faster memory? If I'm building a new AMD system should I even look at some of this faster memory?

The only problem is the latencies on these memories SUCK royal swine feces. Is the memory stability at speed enough of a bonus over the crappy latency. Or should I just go with the lowest latency high-performance PC3200?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts