T40 Wireless Card problem

• malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sunny South Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody.

I have an IBM T40 thinkpad laptop and my wireless internet was working fine, but recently it tells me that there is no networks found in range...when there is.

So I tried to "Repair" the problem by right-clicking the wireless network icon on the start bar and choosing "Repair". But it gives me the following error message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Disabling the wireless network adapter

Make sure your network adapter is properly installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And today it is even MORE strange. It now says that I'm connected (when I highlight the wireless icon) even though I'm not. And when I double click the icon I get the following:

Network: (It displays a bunch of strange symbols)
Duration: blah blah (not literally)
Speed: 11.0 Mbps

Packets: ~3,000,000,000

So I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix it. But it works fine with a LAN connection (and I understand that it is a different card), and the wireless router is in no way out of range because I tested it when the laptop was right next to the router.

Any ideas?

And thanks in advance for any help :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah and to add, my desktop has a USB wireless adapter and it picks up the signal just fine. So I don't believe it's the network.
  • malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this sounds weird. But I think this solved my problem. I recently read about MusicMatch's ShellHiddenIcon window that makes your computer to possibly run slower or have programs fail...and I got rid of it on my laptop and restarted it and all of a sudden my internet works again :-) Awesome!

Thanks to everybody that read this. I hope this may help anyone else out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts