Temperatures

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been having problems with temperatures in my PC for a long time now. My idle temps are: system 28-32, Cpu 49-52. Temps after high def gaming are system: 38-42, Cpu 54-58. I have a P4 2.4 ghz cpu. I have plenty of circulation in the case. In fact i have 8 fans in total. 1 pci fan, 1 video card fan, Psu fan, nice cpu fan and 4 case fans (2 back, 1 top, 1 side). my computer is in a well circulated area too and my room is usualy cold. I have cleaned out all the dust and even changed my motherboard into a new case and cleaned each part of the motherboard before placing it into the new case. i have done no overclocking so i dont know why i have such high temps... summer is coming soon and i dont want my computer to over heat. Any one know why my temps are soo high? Aopen motherboard if you are wondering. Could my mobo just be reading temps too high?
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try getting a better heatsink for your processor. And you might also want to check the directions that your fans are blowing. You meantioned that you have 2 back fans, 1 top and 1 side. But you don't have any front? That is probably the cause of your problem. I would get a couple nice front fans and have them set as intakes. Make sure the top fan is an exhaust, same with the back fans. I would recommend the side fan as an exhaust also because I'm assuming that it doesn't have a filter on it.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i remember rightly...p4 can take high temps?..

but dont quote me on that...
run some cpu intensive programs, if the temperatures are too high then a system will simply lock up, so then u know you need a new HSF
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

my top fan blows out and all my back fans including the pci fan blow out. The only intake fan i have is on the side because it is dirrectly lined up with the CPu so i didnt want to counter act the CPu fan so i think blowing in is a better idea. I do not have a filter for the side fan yet but i am going to pick one up soon (i just got the side fan 2 days ago). my inside is incredibly clean of dust.

ive never had my computer lock up because of temps. sometimes i play Ut2004 for 4-6 hours and it never locks up. temps are high after though. 38-42 system and 54-58 cpu

i have room for 4 more case fans at the front... i will buy 2 with filters for the front. My cpu heatsink fan is realy nice... its fairly large too. massive heatsink with a 8cm fan.

I realy shouldnt have to do this.... i have not overclocked at all.... i already have 8 fans. Im realy starting to think its just the motherboard reading too high (anyone have this problem with and Aopen motherboard?) ... that or the thermal paste under the Cpu heatsink is too little, too much or tainted some how. I didnt put my Cpu on myself, my computer came built.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently running a p4 @ 3.06 ghz. I have a pretty cheap but nice heatsink and 1 fan in the back of my comp. I also have the cpu fan opbviously. I leave the side off of my computer because it allows me to switch HDDs easily. My computer often reads my temps at around 45-50 C. The 3.06ghz modlel cpu I have is supposed to run at 28-30 C. Seems like a problem.......but it isnt.

I am a little nuts so I went ahead and decided to try a surefire way of making sure my CPU isnt that hot.....touch as close to it as you can! It was running fairly cool..,,,just a hair above room temp. I dont suggest trying this, but I do suggest feeling the air around your cpu to make sure it isnt like a boiler room. Motherboards suck at reading temps.

If you want to really know the temp, get a new case that has the built in moniters and such. They already come with big fans most of the time and all you ned to do is throw your stuff in and place the sensors.....
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i felt the air around the heatsink and it is pritty much room temp.... just to be sure i stuck my face in closer to the case cause facial skin is more sensitive to heat blah blah. and it was all cool in there... yeah its gotta be my motherboard... im not worry about temps anymore thanks all you guys and especialy Truce.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, dont ger your nose hairs caught in the fan :lol:
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol... i wasnt that close, and my nose hairs arent that long hahaha. im gunna buy 2 front case fans just to be on the safe side cause the heat wave has already hit.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you can never have too many fans
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol* Well if the computer starts flying around the room, then maybe there are too many. :lol:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmfao
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would be an awsome mod lol...
hundreds of case fans, to make the tower levitate :D
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone tried those jet fans. They're CPU fans but they use a turbine system.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome.....I would freak out if my computer started levitating.....AHHH!!!! It would suck if you had a power outage while running at 6 feet up!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, then lands, you are then left to pick up the pieces :cry:
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just got 4 case fans for the front ... dear god i have 12 fans now. Realy helped my temperatures though. i am down 2 C in idle and after full usage my temp is down 6 C.

on a side note, i couldnt find fan filters at any computer store so i made my own filters for the fans that blow into the computer. I made them out of sqaures cut out from musquito netting. they work realy well (i can see some cat hair in there right now lol). But i noticed that it seems to slow the airflow through the fan a lot.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually "filters" on case fans just consist of mesh wire. They are more like finger guards than filters because the fans are't strong enough to pull air through something. If you take an old thin t-shirt and stretch it out a bit it works pretty good too. The hard part is getting it to stay attached without ripping.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard of people using pantyhose as filters for their fans.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Anyone tried those jet fans. They're CPU fans but they use a turbine system.

If your still freaking out about temps in your comp take a browse of this cpu cooler http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=297 This massive cpu cooler seems to perform well but just has cons in it's size. Here's another suggestion so you dont have 12 fans humming away in your case http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/hydrocool.html This is a simple water cooler that said to do a decent job.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont mind the hum of the fans because theres a ceiling fan in my room thats always on and my AC is usualy on too so it drowns it out
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

5 fans and 54 degrees? WTF!?!?!

anyway, I haver one cpu fan and an open case and it hardly ever goes above 50, even when plaing games. (I have a P4 2.8ghz)

why are all your CPUs so hot?
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think the motherboards are just reading the temps higher then they actualy are.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Motherboards are very innaccurate at measuring temps most of the time rjstephens. Also, different processors need different kinds of power and emit diferent temps at normal speeds. My computer feels like it runs about 85 degrees fahrenhiet and I have 2 front fans w/filters blowing in, a side fan w.filter blosing in, 2 rear fans blowing out, my cpu fan, a PSU fan on the inside that pulls air into the PSU before spitting it out the back of the case through the normal PSU fan. 8 fans total! I run a P4 at 3.06 ghz with 533 mhz bus....nVidia geforce fx 5200 graphics card, a 24-bit audigy LS sound card, a d-Link wireless PCI NIC, 2 Maxtor 80 GB hdds, 2 dvd-rw/dvd-rom/cd-rw/cd-rom drives, a floppy drive that I don't ever use, a 450 watt Raidmax PSU, and an intel D875PBZ motherboard. I am almost always multi-tasking like mad.....(Photoshop, X instances of browser, musicmatch, frontpage, flash, etc....).

I am currently running plenty of case fans to keep my system cool but I still want to add one on top. Fans are cheap ($10) and they can protect your computer JIC. I would rather spend $100 and get a butt-load of fans that will help keep my comp. cool in a situation like my CPU fan going down, than have to replace parts because I was too cheap to buy a couple fans.

PS: NONE of my fans are connected to my Motherboard directly! They all have heat sensors built in so they control themselves. This is 1 reason I can have so many! Plus, the sensors they come with are a lot better at detecting temps than my motherboard. I don't trust thermometers to measure my temp! Why would I trust my motherboard to measure the temp of anything???
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just got the best cooler for my computer..... room air conditioning, it cooled my computer down (and my room) more then 10 degrees, much more then any of the fans that i put in.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is it beings?
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

my motherboard says during idle CPU 45C, System 24C with the air conditioner on. i have yet to test the temps after full CPU usage of 3+ hours.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts