On the Run again

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I have a new computer, my problems are over ( at least for now). Now I see in the horizon someone with a computer upgrade need, someone with a slow computer, I must save him at once...lol.... :D

well my uncle wants his computer to be upgrade just look at5 my uncles computer spec

1 gb hard drive with 18 mb ram, 100 mhz processor and windows 95 intalled... :oops: :oops: Ouch!!!!

so Im planing on buying a 40 GB hard drive plus a new motherboard with a 2.80 Ghz intel 4 proccesor and at least a 128 mb of DDR ram. here is the Spec of what I found:

---Seagate 40GB SATA Hard Drive
Hard Drive Spec page

---Soyo P4VTE VIA Socket 478 ATX Motherboard
Motherboard Spec page

---Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
CPU Spec page

---K-Byte 128MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory
Memory Spec Page

---Chaintech GeForce MX 4000
Video Card Spec page

thats what I found, all it cost is a 354 dollars, which is around what my uncle can afford, could you guys please tell me what you think, and what you think It would be better?

I also was thinking of buying a power supply, but Im not sure whether this upgrade will need more power or not.

one last question, do any of you guys know what the difference between SATA, ATA, Ultra ATA are?

thank you
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most likely an old 100mhz system will need a whole new case rebuild as it wont be an atx case and also then need new keyboard and mouse, ps2 or usb the old ones will be AT style. Also most likely the old video card is pci or even ISA in that case you'll prob need a new video card as well. In other words if he's happy with his monitor and it works fine, then build everything else new, whole case, keyboard and mouse
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

SATA stands for Serial Advanced Technology Attachment. It's a new and better standard than the normal PATA drives which are parallel.

Ultra ATA is simply used to describe the DMA of the harddrive. DMA (Direct Memory Access) is the speed at which a Harddrive communicates with the RAM, while bypassing the CPU.

A SATA drive is much faster than a PATA drive . Finally you will most definitely need a new PSU because if your getting a new motherboard, the old PSU won't have the correct power socket, and won't be powerful enough for all those new devices.

Like The1 said your probably going to have to build something new.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats he going to use it for ? if he's not going to do anything fancy !
Send him to Walmart.lol
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3321521
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for the answers....

Quote:
Whats he going to use it for ? if he's not going to do anything fancy !
Send him to Walmart.lol
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3321521

My uncle is not gonna do anything fancy for the moment, since he doesnt know a bit about computers, but I want him to have something that will be suitable for him as he learn more how to use this computer....

lol...you know I work for that company, for been an employeed I get a 10% discount of every product I buy, but walmarts dont sell the type of computer I want for my uncle.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

My reccomendation, go buy an emachines computer from bestbuy with that money. You can get one that will beat what you are putting together for less money and it will include a keyboard, mouse and moniter usually!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts