• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. i just bought this:

http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp ... =11563&P=F

=Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube

B/c i got another Valcano 12 for my Other PC. Every time i build A Computer Or GEt a New Fan i use that gooey Wite Thermal paste that comes with it.

i do believe this stuff does better?

Features: Contains 99.9% pure silver, High-Density(contains over 88% thermally conductive filler by weight), Controlled Tripple-Phase Viscosity, Not Electrically Conductive and Absolute Stability (will not separate, run, migrate, or bleed)
Thermal Conductance: >300,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)
Thermal Resistance: <0.005°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)
Average Particle Size: <0.49 microns <0.000020 inch
Extended Temperature Limits: Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C
Performance: 3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads when measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core.
Coverage Area: The 3.5 gram tube contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram tube will cover approximately 16 square inches.

How is it that its better? Silver, it would not seem to me, that it would do any good.

maby someone could explain to me how (in english Pleaze, lol) how it works?

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600. PS. i dont overclock my CPUs in any way.

Ps, again: I did get that White Crap inbeetween the two Black things on my CPU when cleaning it. Is it damaged?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Silver is the best heat conducter. That is why it is used in your thermal compound.

As for your processor, may you please provide a picture?
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i can get you a HQ picture tomorrow

on : July, 28.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i Take that back Blink, i can get a good pic b/c the reflection of light off the CPU.

heres a Image off google that i edited to show you.

did my best. 8)
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, that is just old thermalpad/thermalpaste from your old cooler. when you touch it, does grey/white show up on your finger?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

No take a qtip with alil itta alcohol and clean off the gunk you got all over let it air dry, it wont damamge the cpu at all. Arctic silver is one of the best takes a long time to cure but once it does , imo cant be beat.

WC
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

blink182av wrote:
oh, that is just old thermalpad/thermalpaste from your old cooler. when you touch it, does grey/white show up on your finger?

LOL i know what it was. i was just wandering if it would damage MY Cpu if i just left it.

PS: like i said, its moist.

And WC, Are you Absolutly Sure? i mean its not going to damage my CPU if i just put a few drops of rubbing alcohal and a q-tip to drie it?

I duno. Sounds RISKY!.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

In all truth, it doesnt matter what kind of fancy thermal paste you use. You can use a $10 silver tube, a $3.99 radioshack tube, lard, or ketchup, and they will all pretty much register the same temps.

Thermal compound is put inbetween your heatsink and CPU becuase as fine and polished as the surfaces are, there are still inperfections. All the compound does is displace the air inbetween the two surfaces, as air is a good insulator of heat. The only real transfer of heat is where the metal actually touches the metal.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive heard that using thermal compound along with a good heatsink such as the xp-90 is a good way to start overclocking because it can take all the temps

and im pretty sure ketchup would start to smell a lil funky after a week of being in the temps of 100 to 200 degrees lol
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
In all truth, it doesnt matter what kind of fancy thermal paste you use. You can use a $10 silver tube, a $3.99 radioshack tube, lard, or ketchup, and they will all pretty much register the same temps.

Lol, lard. dont think so LU. Ha Ha.

But if i leave the gung from the old fan will it damage anything?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:

Actually, Artic Silver 5 can dramatically increase your overall cooling. Check out this: http://www.pcsynapse.com/reviews.php?&verify=14

I've read about a lot of people dropping 5 degrees Celcius or more simply be replacing their stock thermal paste with AS5.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah Arctic Silver 5 is some good stuff. Be wary, DON'T USE TOO MUCH! What I do is ai put some on the heat sink and really rub it into the base with some plastic and then wipe it off with a paper towel and buff the heatsink base well. Then I put a little bit on the processor die and spread it evenly and very thinly on the die and set the heatsink on it. I've actually gotten 1'C BELOW room ambient on air cooling, but its theoretically possible to get up to 10'C below ambient room temp.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes ok i get that a bought the right goo, but im trying to understand that if i put a Liquid (alcohal) on top of my 2600 CPU how it wont damage it?

So this is how i clean it huh:

one or two drops of rubbing alcohal,
Then Kind of Scrub it with a Q-Tip, and set it out to let it dry, huh? And that wont Damage it at all?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, it will not damage it at all. Alcohol can be used to clean electronic components without problem.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Arctic Silver has a special TIM remover and surface prep solution for their Arctic Silver 5 and Ceramique goos.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh good i just through it into Some beer. lol Jp you did say alcohal. Ha ha Thx ppl

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts