•  
    Plain retarded

I think i killed my computer

• ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been noticing my computer acting strangely lately and I think i killed it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to try to maybe revive it. This is what has been going on for a few weeks with it:

It all started after I got my new Grapics card (Radeon 9800 SE 128MB)
For the first week or so it was fine but then the computer started rebooting when i play games or use programs that need lots of HD, CPU and RAM (running windows and simple applications was fine)
then i started getting some memory error messages in XP, rarely but still errors.

at first i thought my power supply couldn't keep up with all my stuff, i have a 350 Watt PS and a lot of stuff in there... 2.1GHz CPU, 512 DDR 2700 RAM, 2 HDs, 2 CD-Roms, Floppy and the new more powerful vid card as well as a SB audigy platinum and some minor accessories. I think 350W is not enough for all that, so what I did is took a second PS and hot wired it to turn on without interfacting with the Motherboard (just took pin 14 and conected to ground) I hooked up the 2 CD-roms and 2 HD to it and it worked fine, windows booted and it was all nice... then it happened!!! I tried a game to see if it would still reboot and sure enough it did... but this time the computer didnt restart... I got 3 beeps at the POST (which means the base 64K memory could not be found) so I reseated the RAM a couple of times, still nothing... I took the new Power Supply out and connected everything back to one and when i tried a couple more times to turn the computer on the last thing i heard from it was a low rumble from my speakers and the computer doesnt even turn on anymore... what did I burn out? the PS? MB? RAM? all of it??!?

any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Ozzy
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was a young kid, I wanted to listen to my transistor radio, but I didn't have any batteries, so I just hooked a couple wires up to the battery leads and plugged it into the wall. (I hadn't taken any electronics classes yet*lol). The sparks were pretty! My Christmas present was a new transistor radio.

I guess you never know if somethings going to work until you try it!

I suppose probably best to start with a new power supply and go from there.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you did sounds like it should have worked fine. Both of the power supplys had the same ground, so it shouldn't have been a problem. I don't know why your computer blew up. :?
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
When I was a young kid, I wanted to listen to my transistor radio, but I didn't have any batteries, so I just hooked a couple wires up to the battery leads and plugged it into the wall. (I hadn't taken any electronics classes yet*lol). The sparks were pretty! My Christmas present was a new transistor radio.

well you beat me with the bad idea part. But my idea was sound. I researched it I know people who have done that but somehow it didnt work for me... to be honest, know ing my computer i'll just be ale to turn it on tomorrow and it will be fine ( I had that happen plenty of times) I jut hope this is one of them
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would guess it was a power supply issue. What brand was the power supply? I have heard a lot of stories about cheap power supplies destroying components.
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks like it was a Power supply... I dug up an old one and just plugged in 1 Hard drive (its only a 130 Watt) i'm on the computer right now looks like there arent any problems so far.. i would need a new PS.. any reccomendations? i need at least a 500W
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. That's why I suggested starting with the power supply. The low rumble you described coming out of your speakers is what I generally refer to as 60 cycle hum, and when you could not get your computer to turn on after that, it was pretty clear your power supply was fried.

I am sure you'll get some good suggestions and feedback here, but you might want to check with these guys too:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ (scroll down and you'll find a power supply forum). I never like recommending folks away from OZZU, but I always feel it's good to take advantage of all resources at your fingertips.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing you can do when buying a power supply is buy from a brand name company with a good reputation. For the computer you listed, you won't need 500 watts. 400 watts would be more than enough unless you have an insane amount of external devices.

The Antec 430W True430 Power Supply should satisfy your needs.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had a similar problem, crashing in games, errors etc. turned out the heatsink on the main cpu (gfx card) had come loose and was causing the crashes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts