Im thinking about over clocking

• CompMaster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • CompMaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I just built a new computer by meself. First one I have ever done. I am very well educated in computer knowledege, basicly self taught, so I know my stuff. Here's what i got in my system.

P4 3.0Ghz Prescott Core HT Technology
2 Ultra 512 sticks of RAM (400Mhz)
80 gig HDD
256MB GeForce FX 5700 LE
1 CPU fan
2 case fans (one on the side panel taking in air, and one in the back under power supply blowing out air)
400 Watt powersupply
Windows XP Pro SP2- Corp. Edition (No activation addition)

Ok, I am having some issues that i have never seen before, that i dont understand why is happening. So i have a few questions.

1: I have 2 sticks of 512 DDR RAM both 400Mhz, and I also just recived a free 266Mhz 512 DDR RAM. My question is if i put that extra stick in, will it slow down my computer in any way?

2: I am have some difficulties with my OS, with some programs that I have on Windows XP sometimes they fail alot or freeze up for a minute or 2. Example Mozilla Firefox, it freezes evertime I go to a new site. Whats the problem?

3: Im thinking of over clocking. How do I do it and should i do it?

Thanks in Advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Fernanditen

Post 3+ Months Ago

1: If you already had 1GB of ram, you don't need more unless you work with huge databases. You can't just combine 2 different speed DIMMS because the hole system will work at the lowest speed.

2: May be a bunch of different causes. Does your ram running at the SPD speed? o is it running with a latency below it's desing?

3: If you want to overclock your system you need to have a convenient CPU cooler so the temperature won't rise high and loose the system stability.

Wait until the experts here at OZZU tell what they think. :)
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to build on what Fernanditen has said:

1. Yes you can and alot of people do this, but as stated it will slow the other faster components. Most components are backward compatible, but none [ as far as I am aware ] are forward compatible.

2. Check your RAM is seated correctly and that your FSB etc is set correctly.

3. O/Cing viods ALL warrentys on components, therefore, if anything goes wrong, you will not be able to get a free replacement. So thats the first thing to be aware of.

Depending on what you want from your PC determins how you will O/C, some people just want a bit extra from their CPU, others go the whole 9 yards with CPU, GPU and RAM. Either way, you want to make sure your cooling is sufficiant [ at least ].

Here are a few links that I thought might be useful which deal with O/Cing:
Simple O/C explination & guide
O/C guide

As for should you do it ... thats for you to decide really.
  • Fernanditen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
1. Yes you can and alot of people do this, but as stated it will slow the other faster components. Most components are backward compatible, but none [ as far as I am aware ] are forward compatible.

100% agreed, I meant to say that the performance would drop down to the slowest DDR DIMM.

I just o/c my system.
Sempron 3000+ (2000MHz Barton core, 333FSB ) to 2400MHz 400FSB
and my RAM timings from 2.5.3.3.7 to 2.2.3.7.
166/33 FSB 12,5 multiplier --> 200/33 FSB 12,5 multiplier.

My temperature raised from 46ºC to 49Cº at 100% processor use.
Ambient temperature 23ºC.

The PC is really stable, no hangs, no restarts.

I'm using a thermaltake silentboost cooler as you can see in the pics I posted in "Sticky: Post Your Workspace."

C'ya!

PS: The silentboost cooler is not meant to o/c cause is a very silent, low RPM cooler (2650RPM 21db hydrowash bearing) but it works just fine. :wink:
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Few questions before i give any advice on overclocking :-

1 : Are you still using the normal Intel Heatsink?

2 : What motherboard do you have?

You will need to buy new ram if you plan on overclocking as well, as DDR400 cant cope with the high FSB's needed to get a decent overclock. I suggest at least PC4000.

*plum*
  • CompMaster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • CompMaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well sry cant buy new RAM. My board only holds up to PC 3200. Yes I am using an Intel Heatsync, and an Intel Board. Everything is locked in the bios. So i dont think i can over clock anyway. So, I dont even think I was gonna do it anway.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

All motherboards that support DDR support any speed of DDR, the ram will just slow down to the speed of the motherboard, to make any use of ram faster than PC3200 you have to up the fsb. You can get many windows overclocking tools as well.

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
All motherboards that support DDR support any speed of DDR, the ram will just slow down to the speed of the motherboard

Thats not true and a bit of a contradiction. For something to support something means that its functionality is not altered or compramised.

Most motherboards support the DDR format, but not all have full support for all DDR speeds.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not the best way to put it but more of what i ment was :-

Any motherboard that says it will fit normal DDR, will fit any speed but will not run at the frequency that the motherboard sets it too.

Hope that makes a bit more sence.

*plum*
  • Flux
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

basically i think what your trying to say is that almost all modern mobo's have an "offical" limit of pc3200, beacuse thats the heighest ram speed that non-overclocked systems can use.

But in reality most, if not all mobo's can support any speed ram, its just that the CPU wont be making use of this extra avalibe speed unless you raise the speed of your CPU, therefore overclokcing it, therefore voiding your wanenties ect like Enigma said. This is the reason all mobo's are only offically rated to run pc3200 ram.

also, if you self-built they system you really shouldnt have a locked BIOS.... unless you brought or reused a dell - or any other one of those evil companies - mobos.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts