Thinking to buy a new laptop

• unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks how is everyone today/tonight, i am good i hope everyone is had a good weekend. I already have a computer but recently i had an urge to get a laptop for various reasons which i will state soon.

I read a few laptop buyers guides and have general idea as to what laptops are and what are their uses and purposes. When searching around i came across only two types or categories or processors of laptops [1]Intel and [2]AMD. Now if we sub-categorize Intel based laptops there is Celeron, Pentium 3,4,M, Centrino, Centrino Duo Mobile. If we sub-categorize Amd we have Sempron, Athlon Xp, Athlon 64, Turion 64 etc. Are these different models of processors which came out at different times ? What's the difference between these ? Which one is better performance and price wise ? Are there any more types of laptop processors or just these ?

That will be it for this time. I will appreciate it if someone can explain to me in as much detail as possible regarding these questions so i have a general idea of what kind of laptop will fit my needs. Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rcnitrous7
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rcnitrous7

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD>Intel

maybe im being generous
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

the difference between these are power use, speed, heat, price.
myself i am a AMD fan. i had a laptop with 2800+ Athlon 64 in it, i loved it. it was alwyas fast it lasted a long time on battery. mind you it is faster with it pluged in cose it has the power. but you would never even know unless your as picky as me lol
the only problem i had with it was heat.. it was not to hot but just a little hoter then most(not by much)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

poopy, this reponse is gonna take me time, and i have to go to school :(

ok, the current amd notebook specific processors are decent. they are simply desktop procesor with lower voltages, and they are socket 754. the intel processors on the other hand. are called either the "pentium m", the "centrino", or "core duo".

dont even bother with a pentium 3, you cant find a new laptop with one in it. the pentium 4's would be an incredibly stupid idea to go with as they are desktop chips and heat up like plastic in a microwave for five minutes....:P

some manufacturers such as alienware offer these desktop chips in laptops, in fact, they offer full dual core amd processors [all the way up to the fx-60!] but heat is too much of a problem.]

right now, if you want a decent computer that can perform for a long time, you should go with hp or gateway [someone along the lines of those two] as they are the only ones who provide *mobile* amd processors for less money than others.

if youre still open to the idea of intel [if you havent been tainted by these amd fanboys [i kid, i kid]] then i highly suggest looking at some dells. the inspiron 9400, or e1705 [or even the e1505] would serve you quite well.

if you could come back with some indication of what you'll be doing with the laptop and a budget, i think we could help you a lot more.

also [and i dont mean to me an ozzu-killer] you can check out this forum that is *dedicated* to notebooks.

//thank the lord above those greater thans got pruned...made my 1600×1200 look inferior :(
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx for the reply i will specify my needs as to what i want this laptop for. My main interest to get a laptop is to watch movies on it, also i want to be able to connect it to my tv and watch movies on my laptop on my tv. I also want to use this laptop for playing latest games, listen to music, run big applications like adobe photoshop,winamp,wmp,frontpage, do a lot of web-designing, also need a latest fast cd/dvd burner which can burn cd/dvd of all types/formats. I want a good high quality/performance laptop to do all above but for the cheapest cost available(as many people offcource) because i am on a tight budget i am looking for something below $1300 Canadian Dollars. If possible i am also looking for an option where i can pay for the laptop slowly on monthly bases without getting charged any interest/extra fees.

I would like to know what part to look for in a laptop which will let me connect my laptop to my tv and stream movies/videos at good speeds. Is it s-video port/jack or vga port/jack or something ?

Here are details of my ideal laptop

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
be able to connect it to my tv and vise/versa to watch movies/videos etc at good streaming speed and good quality

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars
What's in it for you = Great appreciation, warm tingly feeling of helping someone desperately in need, getting to find out whats latest in store/ on web nowadays

Thx for all the help in advance
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

From Dell I would recommend the Inspiron E1705. From HP I recommend the Pavillion dv8000. From Gateway I recommend the NX860.

All of these are configurable so you can tweak it to fit in your price range.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Normally, I am an AMD fan, and would love to test an AMD laptop - but I do not have the funds at this time.

I usually grab the HP NC6220's because that is what my company condones us to use. Then I usually hit up CDW to grab 2x1GB PC2-5300 SoDimms and a Hitachi 7200rpm 100GB laptop hard drive. I then re-load it with Win XP Pro that I tweak to heck and back. I also have the TC4200 which is a similar Tablet PC. I also loaded that with 2GB of memory and a 7200rpm 100gig hdd. I actually like the look of them. They are clean-looking. Minimal BS styling.

Maximum PC ran a bit on a DIY laptop build. While it seems neat, and you save boatloads of money. Not much in the way of artistic expression. Desktops are all standards, so 1,000 different company make 10,000 different products that work with each other. In the laptop world its proprietary anything goes badlands.

I would love to log onto my favorite online retailer and be able to have the selection of laptop motherboards boards and chassis as I do for desktops.

Just think, a gunmetal black brushed aluminum laptop chassis holding a 17" widescreen wuxga+ lcd with a keyboard like that from the moto V3 Razr buttons. Have a dual core mobile AMD processor and 4GB of the fastest and lowest latency memory around with a sata 3G solid state drive in raid 1 with a platter drive. actually if you had say a 40 gig solid state drive and a 160gb laptop drive, you could conceivably have 4 separate and interchangeable raid 1 setups. One with a different OS. Or have 2 OS's and a 80 gig static data partition. Then I could have the best a/b/g wifi and bluetooth and built in cellular modem. Maybe even SLI'd 7900GT Go video cards. And a mini nuclear-substation to power it. Maybe even some liquid nitrogen cooling.

Anyway, one can dream... Because that will never happen. Proprietary will always win, because that way the vendors can overcharge you for all the hardware. And then sue you for violating the DRM on the new Brittany Spears album "oops I dropped my baby again" on their hardware. Because they put a clause entitling them to $250,000,000 for misusing their hardware. Because Fair-Use went out the darn window with social security, pensions and $1/gallon gas.

The king is dead, long live the king... When the elders come and take us to the promised planet of scientology freedom, I am going to go with them and make Tom Cruise and all his nutcase friends drink the koolaid (tm) first. Then use their spacial technology to make my own colony where Common Sense rules over stupid human cattle ideals. Yeah.... That's exactly what I am going to do, as soon as I move out of my Parent's basement..... Yeah.... :roll:

//NOTE: I do not actually live in my parent's basement and I do not condone the practicing of weirdo popular movie star/musician ideals, because those people did way too much blow back in the 80's and their mental stability cannot be trusted under any circumstances. Oh yeah, and Jane Fonda should be burnt alive at the stake...
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
From Dell I would recommend the Inspiron E1705. From HP I recommend the Pavillion dv8000. From Gateway I recommend the NX860.

All of these are configurable so you can tweak it to fit in your price range.

Grinch i saw these laptops and i thought wow am i in heaven, they are exactly what i need, for the rigth cost, but when i saw the websites url it was usa based so offcource the costs are also usa based right ? Whereas i specifically mentioned on two occassions i needed canadian based laptops and cocts. Can you point some of canadian based laptops which are as good as the above deals ? I greatly appreciate your help

And GT500Shlby i have just one word for you "Weird" and this one emotion should explain how i felt after reading your essay :shock:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canadian Dell
Canadian HP
Canadian Gateway sucks as they tell you to shop at BestBuy, Costco and FutureShop.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 wrote:
And GT500Shlby i have just one word for you "Weird" and this one emotion should explain how i felt after reading your essay :shock:

By the 5th grade I was using English class as an outlet for my political satires. I would write such graphic poly-sexual innuendos that I had been punished with weekend detention on more than one occasion. I even went to one of the most prestigious catholic schools in New Jersey and I still got battered for my political views. And I'm not a tree hugger... well; I am pro-not f-ing with our environment, but that is beside the point.

Heck, I would have even sought out a career in politics if my IQ had been fewer than 100. By HS I realized that partisan politics was like a big rocking chair, a lot going back and forth but nothing really getting accomplished. I started hating all political parties and felt sick that I had to vote for the "lesser of two evils." And, don't get even me started on the independent quacks.

And now that I completely went off-topic... The HP, Dell and Gateway's in Canada might be slightly higher than your budget. You might want to try Asus and Acer, they have some great laptops.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i did alot of research as you nice people advised and came up with my first batch of notebooks i found to be good. Need your help deciding which one is a better buy

Here are my requirements

In a nutshell i will be using my laptop to watch movies,listen to music,planning on playing high graphics/quality previous,current and future games, run appz like photoshop,frontpage, burn dvds and cds at high fast/speed without leeching all of my system ram and cpu usage, want to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies (with good quality/speed) from my notebook

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
s-video
vga
dvi(preferred not necessity as long as theres s-video)

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars

These are the notebooks/laptops i found to be good

ACER AS5672WLMi
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 2&NoMapp=0

Gateway MX7515
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1904

Gateway 8510GZ
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... No=1697070

Gateway MX6625
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... No=1873384

Please state the reason for your selection. Thx for all the help in advance
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not post the exact same thing under a different account. You're not fooling anyone.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry won't happen again. Can u suggest a laptop from the above list please :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dang I like that Acer, and only $1500 canadian? Thats like $4.99 US! </sarcasm>

The onboard video is ATi unfortunately, but it beats intel onboard "Extreme"-ly sucky graphics. The centrino core-duo 2 dually twin beta II is a must have.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Dang I like that Acer, and only $1500 canadian? Thats like $4.99 US! </sarcasm>

The onboard video is ATi unfortunately, but it beats intel onboard "Extreme"-ly sucky graphics. The centrino core-duo 2 dually twin beta II is a must have.

Man why do you always make such weird comments, honestly i hardly understand 2% of what u say :roll: Can u say in plain english that why are you recommending the acer over the others :?:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch... A little piece of me just died inside. :(

Well, the Acer is a decent machine. Comes with a lot for a great price.
The core duo is becoming a necessity, especially with Windows Vista on the horizon. It has a video card with its own memory instead of onboard graphics like most come with. You should be very happy with the machine.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am extremely sorry "GT500Shlby" if my last post for a bit harsh. Thx for your recommendation i will look into acer with a bit more detail. Btw i wanted to ask what exactly do u need in a pc/laptop to be able to use window vista ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista is going to be a memory and GPU hog. Its nothing but windows XP with more junk to make it harder to work. No new kernel, no new admin console, nothing. They didd NOTHING in the past 5 years. Its sad.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

And what are the requirements to install in on a pc/laptop. I read somewhere it requires a pc to be 64 bit , whats that about ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

They will have 32 bit versions available, but they will be focusing on phasing out the 32 bit in leu of the 64 bit.

Now, I have had vista on a Pentium D 930 with 4GB of PC2-5300 ECC, 2 10k rpm raptors in raid 0 and a 7800GTX video card. The 64bit version ran like a DOG. Even with all the crap turned off, it still was VERY slow.

Now... With all the bugs worked out (yeah, right!) and better driver support (main reason for being crummy) - a nice core duo with a minimum of 2Gb of ram and a decent video card you should be good. And make sure you have a 7200rpm hard drive. None of those crappy 5400 or 4200's they put in some laptops.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the laptops i have reviewed have 5400 and 4200 rpm and the manufacture charge extra $100-300 to get a 7200rpm ones. Isn't that a ripoff ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grab a HDD from a vendor, for a lot less than the laptop companies charge.

Seagate has a 160Gb 7200rpm hdd. But, the 7200 does make a REAL difference. Your battery life will suffer a little, but the speed increase is worth it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts