is this common??

• GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

my brother recently purchase a new PC game (City of Heroes). he wanted a new graphics card so the game would run a little better. this is where it gets weird. his PC is the gaming edition from Dell. 2.4 Ghz P4, 80 gig hard drive, big ole flatscreen and all that. but his mother board DOES NOT HAVE A AGP slot. i was like *huminahumina!!*

why?? why no AGP slot??
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, yeah this is normal, its cheaper to make pc's like this for dell. It also limits the upgradability and means you have to send your pc back to dell if you ever want to upgrade...

*plum*
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

And the exact reason why I don't buy prebuilt machines. Usually, the store rep trying to sell you the machine doesn't even know if it has an AGP or will lie and tell you it's fully upgradable.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol
i told him i could build him one but he wanted a warranty.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

GSlinger wrote:
lol

Individual parts have warranties too... :?

He could buy a new motherboard with an AGP slot and upgrade like that. Would be really expensive though and probaly not worth it.
  • jumungo4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dell's have funny ram to I think.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, its SDRAM..i think, not sure, cpu-z tld me, but im too lazy to redownload it
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
GSlinger wrote:
lol

He could buy a new motherboard with an AGP slot and upgrade like that. Would be really expensive though and probaly not worth it.

actually, you can get a motherboard for not too much.. see: http://zipzoomfly.com but, it's making sure the ram and CPU and everything will work with it in which the trick lies.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
TomK wrote:
GSlinger wrote:
lol

actually, you can get a motherboard for not too much.. see: http://zipzoomfly.com but, it's making sure the ram and CPU and everything will work with it in which the trick lies.

That's why I said it would be expensive. There would be multiplem parts that would need replacing.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know all this but he dont want me to work on his PC for some reason. he is worried that Dell will send the FBI or something.
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

GSlinger wrote:
i know all this but he dont want me to work on his PC for some reason. he is worried that Dell will send the FBI or something.
Don't worry, we will find you a good disguise if that happens :anonymous:
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx man i appreciate it lol
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dell, Gateway, Compaq, eMachines. They all do that now. That is why if you want to upgrade you should always build your own.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not true about emachines Bgnn32! My brother got one for x-mas and it had onboard graphics but I went ahead and stuck my 6800 Ultra in there! :)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

you gave your bro a 6800?!
i wish i had an older bro to do that
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
you gave your bro a 6800?!
i wish i had an older bro to do that

lol. Well, dell, not too long ago was upgradeable, you just needed to get a slim type card so it would fit in the case that i had. I don't know what they're doing now... I like having control over everything so, I build it.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hate dell, i cant even see my cpu, or my memory, or half my computer for that matter.
its covered in some green plastic shield. th one time i tried removing it, it made weird noises and the whole thing dropped 2 inches...i kinda left it alone after that.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
i hate dell, i cant even see my cpu, or my memory, or half my computer for that matter.
its covered in some green plastic shield. th one time i tried removing it, it made weird noises and the whole thing dropped 2 inches...i kinda left it alone after that.

That's really weird.. they must have started doing that. Mine has green plastic quick releases on everything.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Not true about emachines Bgnn32! My brother got one for x-mas and it had onboard graphics but I went ahead and stuck my 6800 Ultra in there! :)

Ok so not all of them are like that or they have stopped, I have seen some that don't have AGP, but I am not too suprised they make some that do.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

my dell is an old dell, like 4 years old.
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
That is a plastic shield that comes off - you should see some plastic notches going into little slots if you look carefully.

They have used them for years. Not sure if the systems out in the last year still use them. They appeared a good design for airflow off the P/S fan to the CPU area.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
yeah, its SDRAM..i think, not sure, cpu-z tld me, but im too lazy to redownload it

...erm that was like 10 years ago was it not? ....for 200MHz MMX PC's.
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The new Dell gaming PC's are coming with PCI Express, you may want to check this out...I bet you will be pleasantly surprised to find a PCI-X slot there which should be filled with a new NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

horkam wrote:
The new Dell gaming PC's are coming with PCI Express, you may want to check this out...I bet you will be pleasantly surprised to find a PCI-X slot there which should be filled with a new NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT

Not saying true or false but I have seen cards advertised as an AGP card when it is actually hard wired to the mobo, it performed just like a normal AGP card only no real AGP port. I would assume they could do the same with PCI-X.

Like I said I am not saying they do or don't as I have yet to see the new Dell's guts, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, to clarify I was putting my suggestion for a video card in there, not implying that the card came with it.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
...erm that was like 10 years ago was it not? ....for 200MHz MMX PC's.

Haha....MMx.....that is funny.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts