is this a good price?

• susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would you expect to pay for the following setup?
Is $1000 a good price? a great price? a super great cant miss this deal price? a ok price?
I'm thinking about getting it, so I wanted to check it out first.

Dell
pentium 4 2.8 ghz w/ Hyper Threading
ati radeon 9800 256 meg video card
1 gig ram
17 inch flat screen
external dvd/cd burner plextor
printer
80 gig hd
keyboard/mouse/XP
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kamisama
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kamisama

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that's a good price
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have expected a bigger capacity HDD and a better GPU personally, but for the amount you can't really go wrong.

Have you looked into upgradability for when your PC becomes outdated or will you just buy a new PC ?
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

what if I could get the price down to 800 or 900?
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

seems like a good deal, the deal maker is the 17" flat screen, that is worth $400 - $500 by itself
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The price sounds okay, a lot depends on the quality of the components, especially the flat screen.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

the computer is about a year old, and the monitor and dvd burner were bought in the last 2 months.
  • jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd say it's a 'good price'. decent video card, nice amount of ram, etc. etc. it's a better deal than something you could get at your local big chain dealer.

i assume you're buying this first-hand, i.e. not through ebay or something. someone mentioned the quality of the components which is important to check. even though it's not a deal breaker, a crappy mouse and keyboard make for a crappy computing experience.

a couple of other things you may want to check out:

1/ is the moniotr a flat screen or a thin screen. there is a difference. i have a 17 inch flat-screen crt that hogs most of my desk space. what i think you're expecting is a sexy small profile mointor. make sure that's what you're getting.

2/ check the software included/installed. never know what you are/aren't getting. make sure you get all the cds (os, apps, drivers, etc.).

3/ you mention it's a year old dell. i don't know anything about their waranties but check if you can get the original one extended (if there is one in the first place)

good luck and let us know how it goes,
jonathan
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to get a more detailed spec. list from the person to make sure you know what you are getting. Try the computer out if possible before hand to make sure the speed is alright and such.

I disagree with many of the people here, and I don't think that a grand for a used computer like this is worth it. For a typical used dell like this I would pay $300, and another $250 for that monitor. No more. Computers depreciate fast because of the rapidly advancing technology, and if it is already a year old then you only have like another 9 months to a year that it won't be obsolete.

That computer new would be about $500-$600 at most.....Dell just charges too much. Honestly, if you don't do a lot of stuff on the comp. I would recommend getting an Emachines for like $400...you get the whole setup, new computer, XP, 1 yr. of support, and you know what you are getting.

Just my opinion.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, i'm a multimedia student, so I'm not just looking for an entry level emachine.

Someone added up the parts this computer had and how much it would cost to build and they came up with $1300 dollars:

pentium 4 w/ hyper threading tech 2.8 ghz - $160
ati radeon 9800 256mb video card $250
1 gig of ram - $100
17" flat panel - $200
external dvd/cd burner plextor $200
lexmark printer - $50
80 gig hd - $40
keyboard mouse XP - $100
Case/MB - $200

I don't know if I mentioned it here or not but I could be getting this for 800-900.

In comparing it with other computers on the dell website I didnt see any that compared. Nothing within this price matched th 1 gig ram, the dvd burner, the flat panel monitor, etc. I've looked at both dell and hp- and when I spec it out they come out to be about 1300-1400.

The computer I have now is going on 3-4 years old and is still serving me well and would continue to do so. so the 9 month obsolute thing dosent apply for me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts