thunder and Modems!!

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

when we have a thunder storm (not too often) (UK) i unplug my PC from power and modem from phone line.(dial up). well any way when i plug it all in long after the storm has gone i go to dial up and rechive the messege no dial tone. i tryed every thing but only way to fix it is to put in another modem. i have used 4 in about a year!!!! its costin me money (not got alot lol) any thing i can do to stop this
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem a while ago when I was moving so I only had dial up, we had a bad sotrm too and it cause a surge in the power lines. Not sure how to fix it cause the next day our broadband was reinstalled to our new home.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just get a UPS :)

Most UPSs these days have surge protection for LAN, Telephone/Modem as well as the power surge protectors and battery backup.

I live in Florida, 45 minutes from Tampa (lightning capital of the USA). Even when the power goes out to the rest of the house, or just trips off for a seocnd or two, the PC, cablemodem, phones, etc. all happily chug along no problem :)

You set it up once, and forget about it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, also, a lot of them these days will communicate with your PC via USB, and you can set the software to send you an SMS text message to your phone, so you can see if the power tripped out, or if there were any surges, spikes or drops, even when you're not at home :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

only 90 minutes later, and my UPS is proving its worth... lost power about a dozen times in the last 30 minutes... mostly for a few seconds, once for about 2 minutes... PC's still happily up and running, no interruption to LAN or Cablemodem. :)
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

triple post much - i have an Ultra PowerSupply, it is a POS. it is a month old and i already have to send it back. did you try calling the company of the product and say "give me support"? give that a try. if you give me the company i can do some research for yah :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine's made by APC. Whenever I recommend a UPS to clients, I always tell them to buy APC. They all do, and they never have any problems :)
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

oOOOhhhh -- i thought u meant Ultra Power Supplys
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ant they expensive. at least the modems only £10 at a time. still wondered if there is any thing to prevent this
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPS == Uninterruptable Power Supply (a battery backup/surge protector basically).

For a real good UPS you wanna look at spending probably at least 80-100 quid, maybe more. But the thing is, the next lightning bolt might not just take out your modem, but your PSU, motherboard, processor, RAM and hard drives, so you may not be saving money just by replacing your modem each time.

That's why I invested in a UPS. I actually had a whole machine get taken out by lightning. The PSU surged the motherboard and it just went downhill from there. Over 200Gigs of data on the hard drive destroyed, fortunately I had about 150Gig of it backed up already, but it created weeks of work to recreated things I'd done for clients, lost countless man hours (and money) having to redo those.

Then I went out and spent $250 getting the best UPS I could find at such short notice (The APC XS1000 - That will run the 2 PCs I have hooked up to it for about 35 minutes in the event of a power loss). There's a lot better out there, but I didn't wanna buy online and have to wait for shipping (besides they weigh a ton, so would've cost a whole bunch for shipping too).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts