Toasted SD card

• CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was writing some data to my SD card when the program I was using locked up. So, I just killed the program and removed the card.

Then, when I plugged the card into my Palm, it recognized that I had just inserted an SD card -- but it couldn't read anything from it. I then tried to access my SD card from a Windows machine -- Windows Explorer recognizes that I just inserted removable media, but it can't access it.

Did I just fry my SD card? Is there any way I can recover it (or factory reset it?)

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

~Cazpian the 11th
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried reformating the card?
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I tried to.

I plugged it into my machine, and Windows recognizes that I've inserted removable media, and it shows up as drive J. So, in Windows Explorer, I right-click drive J and click "Format..." and I get the message "Please insert a disk into drive J."

I've got a feeling that my card is completely toasted -- I can't seem to access it in any way. Is there anything I can do to reset it? Like holding a magnet up to it... (I actually tried this to no avail)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a bit unusual CazpianXI. Yeah, if you remove it without "safely removing it" i.e. just pulling it out, you'll most likely have to reformat. However, the fact that you can get to the option to format and then it's asking you to insert a disk is something I haven't seen before.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might try calling a data recovery place, that deal with hard drives etc. They sometimes have some good advice in dealing with this kind of issue, and most likely will have some knowledge that can help you. If your lucky, you might even get them to tell you whats wrong for free, over the phone. Good luck.
  • lito_loo

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are programs which can recover such media cards and i have all those..
  • yogi101
  • yogi101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have exactly the same problem, I have a Thosiba 1gb SD Card. When I went to put the SD card into a card reader windows shows there is a disk there but when you click on it it says "Please insert a disk into drive". If you right click on it to format the drive it says "There is no disk in drive. Insert a disk, then try again". My Palm will not pick it up when inserted either.

And to really piss me off I have a PQI 1gb USB flash disk which does the same thing.

I currently cannot use my Palm because of this and I had to buy a new USB flash disk :x

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts