TOO MANY WIRELESS NETWORKS

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently I have noticed that around 5 of my neighbours have installed a wireless network. Now this may sound cool to you, that everyone is hitching onto the wireless, but its a HUGE PROBLEM. My network adapter keeps picking up and changing to all the other networks, networks I am not configured for internet browsing on. This is a huge pain in the bum. During the course of typing this message, it has switched between 5 different networks.

Please advise me on what i can do to lock my adapter to one network.

The adapter is a Dell 1180 USB adapter.

<shudder> dell...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never mind, i figured out how, i removed all the other wireless networks from some box, and now everythings fine

//edit

DAMNIT
Problem came back, same as before only this time, only one other network is coming up, its removed from the availible networks box, but it still comes up whenever its detected.
  • Flux
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well on my netgear router you can just set up a profile where it just connects to the one network you set it to, ie yours, but it might not be the same with a dell cheapo router......

But on the up side, you could always find out which of your neighbors has the fastest internet connection and just use theirs all the time....
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup, really nice if your downloading a lot :) You can save your own bandwith for more "serious" stuff.

Mine has got that profile - thing too, I think most do..?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope i fixed it now. i made it so that the other 3 networks being detected [some people moved] need a smart card and can only connect to the citibank (?) server and that both have to be completed before it even shows up as a network possibility.
btw, all of them are [semi] intelligent and have enabled a password, however, all the passwords are "default" but, using another persons wireless network is illegal, so..i cant :( [duck poopy! <insert expletive deleted here>]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts