CD-RW

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any way to use the cd-rw on a diff computer over my network? Like how you use a printer over a network.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My guess is not easily. You can share the CDROM drive and access it like you would any other share, but I don't think you can run the software on the other machine from yours. You'd have to have the same software installed on yours.

Easiest way would be use VNC to remotely access the machine and run it that way.

Downsides - you still have to go to the machine to insert the desk, and you will interupt what the other user is doing for the duration. For those two reasons it's still probably quicker to just go to the machine and do it.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, your best bet is just setting up a Linux box with a burner in it...

When I was in England for a coupla months a few years ago, my girlfriend was still here in the US.

There were a few things I needed to download for when I returned, so I SSH'd into my Linux box, downloaded them, called the girlfriend on the phone and told her to put a CD-R in the Linux box's burner (I even ejected the tray for her so she'd know which drive it went in, lol).

Then I burned it from several thousand miles away :)

So, if you've got a machine spare, just stick a burner in it, install Linux, and do it that way :)

It's pretty easy to make ISO's on Linux using mkisofs, or to copy a CD to an ISO...

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/something.iso

And tere ya go. Basically, to burn a CD In Linux, it has to be turned into a iso file beforehand - using mkisofs usually.

You can even mount .iso files as a regular filesystem (like a hard drive partition, or CD-Rom) to check they're valid and exactly how you want them before you burn.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well all I need to do is remotely burn a cd.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, I had no idea that it was that easy to do on a linux box

thanks for that tip!
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I found out you can just use sharing on it. But if you try using sharing on your DVD drive, you cant play the dvd's.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts