Toshiba laptop help

• Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I'm not sure where to put this subject. But, anyways, I have a Toshiba laptop, i think it's an A-50...the A series. I use it for school, actually, the school supplied us with this POS laptop. I haev a problem with it, it keeps shutting off on me. like when i'm running some programs, it just auto turns itself off. i've taken the battery out, scanned for virus' etc. and nothing seems to help. also, i find that whenever i'm scanning my laptop with ad-aware, it turns off. i really don't understand, is something wrong with the ad-aware, or is it just my laptop? thanks. any help would be great. :cry: coz it's really making me mad when i'm in the middle of sth and it just turns right off. thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• romio
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • romio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Don't think it's a hardware problem, it sounds like a spyware, Have you tried to scan(Viruses + Spyware) under safemode?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it turning off or restarting?

Could it be overheating. I had a compaq laptop years ago, that the fan died and it would just turn off when it got too hot.

Also if you think its spyware. Try another scanner, maybe spybot and see if the same thing happens. Also try scanning the disk for errors and see if it shuts off.

Dangles
  • Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. thanks.
how do i scan for errors? and how do i scan under safe mode? haha. sorry, when it comes to computers, i don't know much.
  • Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. i downloaded spybot...and i tried scanning my laptop. but the same thing happened, it just turns off by itself.
i put on both spybot AND ad-aware at the same time and it did the same thing. ahhhhhhhhh. this is driving me NUTS. :shock:
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like whenever the harddrive is working hard (like scanning all the files for spyware) it shuts off.

To scan the drive for errors:

1) open "My Computer"

2) Right click your "c drive"

3) on the second tab marked "tools" use the upper box that says scan this drive for errors.

I think you are going to find that it is going to shut off when the scan is started.

Question-

Does it shut off if just left idle?

Dangles
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some Toshiba laptops had bad memory and were randomly rebooting as a result, contact Toshiba tech support and they can tell you if your computer is one of the bad ones, if it is they will replace the memory for free.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best step in starting to troubleshoot this is disable the auto shutdown on system crash. That way you'll be able to see and report exactly what the error is. To disable it follow these instructions:

Quote:
Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit

http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot ... _crash.htm

The next time it crashes you should then get a blue screen error message. Write down the message exactly and copy it here. It will save you and us time wasted on guesses.
  • Shauna
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shauna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having the same problem with my toshiba laptop shutting down. Also, if I try and restart it too soon it doesn't start up all the way and I get that black screen where it says what mode you want to start it in... and has the 30 second counting thing. I don't know what it is and it is very annoying esp since I have papers and stuff to write for my spring course!!! Any help would be great!!!
  • s2n117
  • Born
  • Born
  • s2n117

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought i was the only one but i have a vaio that does the same thing.and it go's down when i use cubas with vsti's but if i have a song with all audio it will play back 24 stereo tracks. i hope the auto shut down thing works,because i tried it all. :shock: .
  • gregdo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sounds very much like it si going into thermal shutdown, leev it on and use it till it turns off then straight away turn it on and go into the BIOS settings, in there many computers can tel you the fan speed and cpu temprature, failing that, take it to a qualified person who can test the temp of the CPU and speed of the fan. If it is fine then win NT XP and i think 2000 has a feature that if it thinks it is unsafe or security has been breached, its shuts down by its self, it cood be the adaware is breaching some sort of protected file to scan.

let me know how it goes becuz i am curious now!
  • sirkickalot3
  • Born
  • Born
  • sirkickalot3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a toshiba Laptop and it is shutting down automatically. i am beggining to think toshibas are bad laptops
  • sirkickalot3
  • Born
  • Born
  • sirkickalot3

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't shut down when you are not doing anything only when you are running programs. It is a fairly new computer I bought it a year ago.
Any help would be appreciated
  • gregdo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, wen the lapop is actully doing something, the CPU is working garder thus creating more heat, and is probably going into thermal shtdown, get it sheked by someone qualified to do so, i my self have a toshiba laptop and i works well, and one thing, look at the power saving settings, make sure its not just saving power
  • sirkickalot3
  • Born
  • Born
  • sirkickalot3

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="gregdo"]it sounds very much like it si going into thermal shutdown, leev it on and use it till it turns off then straight away turn it on and go into the BIOS settings, in there many computers can tel you the fan speed and cpu temprature, failing that, take it to a qualified person who can test the temp of the CPU and speed of the fan. If it is fine then win NT XP and i think 2000 has a feature that if it thinks it is unsafe or security has been breached, its shuts down by its self, it cood be the adaware is breaching some sort of protected file to scan.

let me know how it goes becuz i am curious now![/quote]
What are BIOS settings
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hot CPU Tester Pro Ver.4
This will check your MB Chipset, memory and CPu. It's a great program had problems with my desktop for two months finally found this program and found out L2 Cache was bad on CPU.

Hope this helps.....

We can all learn by helping others.
  • cobia7
  • Born
  • Born
  • cobia7
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Toshiba Owners!

This is a really easy and a very, very non-technical fix. I have a Toshiba A75-S206 and the thing would just shut down on me for no apparent reason. What I found out after doing what everybody else says to do (delete spyware detectors, install the new BIOS, etc.) none of that worked. Being angry with the situation I decided to try my own cure. . . which takes only a vaccum cleaner. What was happening with my laptop was that it was over heating due to an abundance of dust collecting in the computer itself. Instead of taking the laptop apart I merely took my vaccum and sucked out the fan ports on the bottom of the machine. You don't have to take anything apart or open the computer. I now do this about once every other month or so. I haven't had a shut down since and you will be amazed as to how much dust comes out of your machine. Give it a try. It didn't hurt anything on my laptop and it doesn't shutdown anymore.

Cobia7
  • digitaldan72
  • Born
  • Born
  • digitaldan72

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vacuming the fans corrects the fault.....thanks very much for the tip
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitaldan72 wrote:
Vacuming the fans corrects the fault.....thanks very much for the tip

as a note to any one doing this, you can brake the fans doing this with out keeping them still.. the vacume will make the fans spin to fast and mess the insides of the fan.. all you need to do is hold them still with a twist tie or someing like that..
  • cephsababe
  • Born
  • Born
  • cephsababe

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the same problem with my toshiba laptop, it get sooo hot, i think its overheating, its not very old, but just out of warrantly which is annoying. My housemate has the same one and hers does the same. Ive updated the bios as toshiba say, but this only stopped the porblem for a couple of weeks. It seems that this toashiba laoptop is abit rubbish! How can I stop it from overheating. The fan isnt broken as I can here it working!
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you do what the others said? The fan might be working, but an abundance of dust can still cause overheating.

I would STRONGLY advise a can of compressed air over a vacuum, though. Using a vacuum inside a desktop or notebook computer can cause a static-electric build up and fry a component or two. I recommed compressed air from wal-mart and perhaps a moist papertowel for cleaning fan blades and headsinks.

NuAngel
  • ldeblaeij
  • Born
  • Born
  • ldeblaeij

Post 3+ Months Ago

my one year old Toshiba Satelite laptop does the same thing. I thought it was a virus of some sort so I put in the recovery CD and formated and reinstalled it all over again. Here's the weird part. It does the same thing while loading the recovery CD. It shuts down. Even weirder, it does not shut down when i keep my finger on the pointer screen and keep pressing keys every few seconds. ? That's the only way I got it to go through the whole reinstallation. It still shuts down now that I have a clean version of windows XP. I checked the Bios and i can't find fan speeds or temps. I also think it is over heating, and checked and both fans are spinning. I'm at a loss and was trying to avoid taking it in somewhere to have it serviced for $400/hour :? Any ideas anyone?
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba

Post 3+ Months Ago

well,i think it's a hardware problem, seems to be the conver of the laptop adapter, the electric current doesn't go steady, try to change a adapter for your laptop by your friend own a Toshiba laptop, for the Toshiba laptop adapter is universal. if the adapter is poor, change it. i bought a laptop adapter from an online battery store.
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba

Post 3+ Months Ago

i suggest every one who using toshiba laptop that you should run your laptop on a flat, hard, heat transference well cushion, for other Material of cushion is easy to block the heat sinking holes, and the fan may accumulate more and more dust, and accelerate the decline of the life of the fan and CUP.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts