Toshiba laptop modem prob

• woundedsoul52
  • woundedsoul52
  • Loc: salem oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi:) I have a Toshiba 660CDT laptop., Im having modem probs., my laptop came with an internal 28.8k modem., a 'Standard Modem'., After calls to Toshiba., I can not find out who/what the maker/brand/model is so that perhaps I can find an initialization string to hopefully stay connected.
Is anyone familiar with this? I would truly appreciate any help :wink:

janice
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right Click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Modems

You will find the name of the modem there and also be able to determine if there are any conflicts.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know,... i had the same problem with my dads labtop...it came with XP pro right? then i put XP home on it and it NEVER found the modem driver. i tried every driver i could find, put them on a floppy, but none of them worked. (sry i cant help) :(
  • woundedsoul52
  • woundedsoul52

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx anyway EliteHunter and Thx Enigmatic., actually that is the first thing I did do., The device mgr lists this.,
Manufacturer:(Standard Modem Types)
Hardware Version:Not Available
There are no conflicts and the device is working properly.
Im able to connect to the internet fine.,
I just cant stay connected for more than a few mins... :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best bet is going to hte manufacturer's website, sticking in the model number and seeing what drivers come up.

Even if the tech support guys haven't got a clue (and let's be honest, when do they?), the website will have them listed.
  • woundedsoul52
  • woundedsoul52

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI:) I dont have a clue to who the modem manufacturer is., I searched Toshiba for info but was unable to find anything:(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, the PC manufacturer.

Go to Toshiba's website, there'll be a link there that says "drivers", or "Support", or something similar. There will be a place where you can tell the website what computer you have and to download drivers for it.

Toshiba knows what modem you have in that laptop because they built that laptop :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, after I posted that, I did a lil test...

I went to Toshiba's website (which, surprisingly enough, is http://www.toshiba.com - whoda thunkit?), I click on "Product support", and scroll down...

[quote="Toshiba]Computer Systems & Digital Products[/quote]
Hey, so they send me to another site. I get there and there's a big image and a link at the top that says "Drivers". I click on that.

And what do you know, there's 3 list boxes showing every PC and Laptop model they've ever made..

Portable -> Portege -> 660CDT, and click "Go"...

When the page comes up, there's the Downloads link. Ooooh, look at all those drivers, and applications, and utilities, and manuals :mrgreen:
  • woundedsoul52
  • woundedsoul52

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol...Thx John..I will try that
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe have fun :)
  • woundedsoul52
  • woundedsoul52

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx John!! I do not understand why after a bazillion calls to Toshiba., why they could not have helped me with the info you so graciously supplied..
needless to say., even though I did not need a new driver., just info on the one I have., I was able to get the hardware version info and immediately found an ini string., as wonders will never cease., ive managed to stay online a whole 46 mins now..lol

I truly appreciate your help John :)

janice

now if I can just figure out why a pcmcia usb card wont work ...lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem...

PC manufacturers actually started to get real smart about 3-4 years ago.

Before that (as I'd experienced personally with Dell), they'd just mail you out disks, which cost more time, expense and hassle (and your computer still couldn't work until the disks were actually in your hands).

But, with bandwidth and online storage space being as relatively cheap as it is these days, most of the major PC and hardware manufacturers (Dell, Sony, Toshiba, ASUS, etc), have all the drivers for all the systems & hardware they've ever produced online for download.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts