Toshiba MK1016GAP hard disk

• opsw
  • opsw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum~
Here is my problem:
I've recently upgrade my notebook (compaq m300) hard disk. The "retired" one is a Toshiba MK1016GAP (10GB) hard disk. I want to use this one as a USB storage. So I plug it into my external 2.5" IDE to USB converter, and then plug it into my desktop, both windows and linux cannot recognise it. (Of coz, I've tested my iDE to USB converter by plugging in another hard disk in it, and it is working)

Then, I've installed it into another notebook, it is working properly as well, so that I know it is not about the locking issue (locking to use only on my m300). By now, I really have no idea on it.

Anyone help would be appreciate~~

PS: some more info on the hd:
it is previously used as a dual boot system. And as I want to use it as an external usb storage, so I format it to fat32. I did that under linux, using knoppix, and it is working find when it is in the notebook, and also I've tried to install windows xp on it, and it is working fine as well.

Many many thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to Ozzu opsw
Have you formatted the hard disk after you 'retired' it. If it still has an OS that may be the problem.
  • opsw
  • opsw

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, I did. It is empty now

The procedure I used in knoppix linux is:
1. fdisk it and make it to fat32 (LBA)
2. mkfs.vfat -F32 -I /dev/hda

After I plug it into the USB, Linux and Windows is not recognising it, therefore, I put it into the laptop again, and install windows XP sot that I can partition it and format it using the microsoft way, but it is still not working.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked to make sure the USB ports work at all? You may be missing a USB driver.
  • opsw
  • opsw

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I have
I've plugged in another USB devices to the port, it's working
and I've plugged in another hd to the IDE-USB converter, and that's working as well
  • opsw
  • opsw

Post 3+ Months Ago

After running a SMART utility on this hard disk, the report said that the "load/unload cycle" test has failed. I've done some research on the internet, saying that some hp or compaq hard disk is having this problem...

My research told me "load/unload cycle" is about the read/write head. Does anyone know if this related to the USB to IDE mechanism? So if this stop it from working in the USB port?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts