Trouble formatting second hard drive

• pima17
  • Born
  • Born
  • pima17
  • Loc: Harrisburg, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a novice and probably should have let the Geek Squad take care of this but...I'm trying to format the second hard drive I installed on my Gateway. My OS is Windows XP home. The drive is recognized as "healthy" under disk manager. I have already tried the right-click format. It goes through the whole process of formatting and when it gets to the end, an error box pops up that says "unable to format drive." How do I solve this problem?

In several of the posts I have read, people talked about installing an OS on the new drive. I want to use the second drive for storage, particularly video and music files. Is that necessary? XP came pre-installed, so all I have is a recovery disk. Can I use that to install XP on the new drive?

As a result of this mess I've created, when I boot up I get an error message about no disk in drive (or something like that--I'm at work and will post the exact language later). If I put the new hard-drive's CD-rom in, XP starts. Can someone explain what's going on so I don't have to put the disk in every time?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--pima17
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post