Trying to learn as much as i can...

• havesome9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i love computers and im just newly beginning to get the hang of the hardware side of it all. I was wondering if someone could give me a place to start. A helping hand into different hardware. :?:

Havesome9
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

Tom's Hardware is always a good place to learn :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having lots of disposable income also helps. While your at it, you can throw some of the disposable income my way.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

A computer hardware course at your local college / Uni might be an idea ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Newbian Institute for Madder Skills! :twisted:
  • havesome9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic wrote:
A computer hardware course at your local college / Uni might be an idea ?

lol, im already doing that. Well kinda all of it. Software, hardware, prgramming you know all that stuff. :)
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stick with that then. If you feel it's not what your after, move course or just buy a few books a read them whilst you have some free time [ like when taking a dump ].
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is also experience which you cannot beat. Just reading the book won't automatically make you a master. For instance, build your next computer. Do the research, price within a budget, and take the neccesary precautions to build it.

For hardware, building a system isn't complicated at all. Patience is the key with it. Following the manuals, using anti-static protection, and putting the cables in the right plugs. Also - the proper hardware is key. Don't go cheap - go budget. Your better off getting a slower processor and less memory than just searching for the cheapest products to stay within budget. Also pick the better vendors. Spending a few more dollars is way better than buying from a crap vendor that might send you counterfiet or used products packaged as new. Some shady vendors even use ultra low prices but massive shipping and handling fews or stupid RMA fees.

Also look for upgradability - go for the newest socket type or memory type or even hard drive and video card designs will allow for a longer upgrade timeframe.

Then you have software and networking. Best way to learn is to design a home network. Sure, you can grab a DSL modem and a cheap router and be on your way - but then you really don't learn as much. Getting a more advanced router with specific features that suite you. Maybe even one with an advanced firewall which then would be called a Hardware Firewall Appliance rahter than a simple "router." Get a switch, and a wireless acess point, etc... That allows you to upgrade certain parts over time without having to pay for a all-in-one. You can also get more flexability from it. Adapt it to your distinct needs.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing beats playing around with old computers, and getting to know what does what.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Moncton, NB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go find an old P1 or something along those lines. Tear it apart, write down the parts and draw yourself little diagrams (seriously, that helps to "write" the info into your memory) then out it all back together again. If it works, you are a MASTER!!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another way you can learn about networking, especially like an enterprise network, is to use VMware and make virtual PC's. Then you can set up DNS, DHCP, Routing and Remote Access servers. You can learn about VPN's, setting up file permission, creating users in Active Directory or whatever you want. And if you screw up, delete the virtual PC and start over. No worrying about destroying an expensive server. The only thing that I recommend is using a decent PC with a lot of RAM to create your virtual PC's on.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could also start setting up a wireless network in your home. That taught me a ton.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

brasky wrote:
Go find an old P1 or something along those lines. Tear it apart, write down the parts and draw yourself little diagrams (seriously, that helps to "write" the info into your memory) then out it all back together again. If it works, you are a MASTER!!

Yes because if you can "tear" a processor apart and put it back together with no engineering background then you are truly a master lol. Also very strong lol.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe...my bad. A P1 BASED computer system.

(ps....I have muscles IN my fingers which allow me to tear apart CPU's and then I use mind lasers to put it all back together again!!)
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

brasky wrote:
hehehe...my bad. A P1 BASED computer system.

(ps....I have muscles IN my fingers which allow me to tear apart CPU's and then I use mind lasers to put it all back together again!!)

Oh yea! You got that patch too, it's awesome isn't it.
  • havesome9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all, your all a great help to me. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts