TV tuner

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently installed a TV tuner card to my PC. I have satellite TV in the building im currently in but ive heard the receivers are quite costly. Is there a way to bypass needing a receiver in my case?

Also what are good free media center software programs for my tuner card. I found a free open source program called media portal that seems ok I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions though.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using Windows, give GB-PVR a try. We use it on a box in our living room and have it hooked up to a projector :) Otherwise, MythTV for Linux is supposed to be pretty good, although I've never used it so I can't speak from experience.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dug around and found myself a working satellite receiver so now ive installed GB-PVR and it looks like a great program but im having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get it to work with my setup. I've set all of this up before on another PC with the same hardware but it had windows Media center installed, unfortunately I'm stuck with XP pro.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, we ran into some strange hardware and codec issues, but we managed to get the straightened out (somehow). Most of our problems were due to the fact that we had a tuner card that was way too old for the software, so we had to get a new one.

I'll check our configuration tonight and see if I can remember any special quirks we had to work out.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate your help Spork :), thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts